67 Impala 396CI with rochester quadrajet carb - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

67 Impala 396CI with rochester quadrajet carb

Have 67 Impala SS with 396CI, auto trans and the original 4 barrel rochester quadrajet carb (7037211-2717). How can I verify that the rear barrels, i.e., the secondaries, are opening at full throttle? When I press the pedal to the floor it just does not seem like the the secondaries are opening. I did verify that when pressing the gas pedal to the floor that the linkage at the carb is at full throttle. The vacuum hose(s) at the carb are intake. Note: Have a new fuel filter in the carb. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM

The rear barrels will never open by just pressing on the gas. The engine has to be under a load for that to happen. You could mount a camera under the hood and take the hood off and go for a fun ride. Who knows it may be the next big You-Tube hit.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave. Your reply is what I was concerned about. So other than the You Tube route is there any other solution to IDing if the secondaries are opening? If tis engine were in a boat I would just give a "friend" a 6 pack and put him in the engine bay while I went to full throttle. Bob

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM

It's been done that way before as I have witnessed it. Of course I worked my way through college as a cop so I saw a lot of dumb things.

Easiest way is to drop the tranny down into first gear in an isolated parking lot some Sunday morning while all the local constabulary are buying Coffe and donuts. then floor it from a roll. You should hear and feel that famous QuadraBog sound that is unique to Chevy muscle cars. (for a textual representation of that sound read some old Krass and Bernie cartoons in Car Craft) to get an idea of the BwaaaaAAAHHH! that awaits you.

http://www.carcraft.com/krassandbern.../photo_03.html

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Dave, thanks again. I like this approach better than sitting on top of the engine and looking down into the carb. Bob
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM

The air cleaner my muffle the BwaaaaAAAHHH! that awaits you sound. LOL.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I think the problem was that the rear 2 barrels were stuck. Forced them open and used some WD40. Seem to kick in when engine is warm and at full full throttle. Thanks Bob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Looking for the lock-out thermostat / spring which prevents the secondaries from opening when the engine is cold. Have a Rochester quadrajet # 7037211. Does anyone know the part # and a source? Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page