2000 Impala Not Getting Fuel - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

2000 Impala Not Getting Fuel

Hey everyone, I have a 2000 Impala and lately ( almost every day ) the car will randomly stall and will not run. It will turn over, and the most it will do it sputter, before it dies out. I threw a diagnostic machine on it, and it returned with no codes for me. I tried the bleeder valve on the side of the fuel rail, and some fuel came out, and had a friend crank it over while I was holding it in, and no gas came to the fuel rail. The gas gauge does not work on the car, it fluctuates (Spelling ) whenever the car moves. But it does have a full tank of gas. I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion before I go and spend the $275 on a fuel pump cluster. Thanks! Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Fuel pump

Sorry, my response is probably late but I had almost the exact issue with my 02 impala. Gas gauge not working is most likely the sending unit on the side of the fuel pump. It is part of the pump so the whole unit needs replaced. It cost me $210 for an OEM pump on amazon.
Not hat difficult of a job on my 02 since there is an access panel to the fuel pump in he trunk.
I also had to replace my fuel pressure regulator, about $70. Also an easy job that takes 15 minutes. It is located next to the relief valve.
Hope this help someone.
I found instruction on he web onhow to replace the pump and fpr
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM

A common problem with that car is the passkey anti theft. The condition you describe sounds exactly like the failure mode. The car thinks it is being stolen and shuts off the gas supply. When the key is turned it moves a magnet over to the right in the cylinder which completes a circuit. If the magnet doesn't move the circuit is not complete.

The fix is a new key cylinder. You are not getting a DTC code because the less expensive code readers only read the EPA codes that are required to be available by law. It doesn't read other codes like those form the DCM, BCM, air bags, etc. Your Chevy dealer or modern car garage would be able to retrieve the code.

One other thing, to check your fuel pump, turn the key to the on position, you should hear a ticking sound coming from the gas tank for two seconds then it stops when the pressure is built up.

Note the passkey DTC's start with a B which is for body.

B2945Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Power CircuitB2946Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Power Circuit Range/PerformanceB2947Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Power Circuit Low B2948Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Power Circuit HighB2949Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Power Circuit OpenB2950Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Ground CircuitB2951Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Ground Circuit Range/PerformanceB2952Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Ground Circuit LowB2953Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Ground Circuit HighB2954Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Ground Circuit OpenB2955Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Data CircuitB2956Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Data Circuit Range/PerformanceB2957Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Data Circuit LowB2958Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Data Circuit HighB2959Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Data Circuit OpenB2960Security System Sensor (passkey, passlock, etc.) Data Incorrect but Valid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page