67 Impala won't start - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

67 Impala won't start

I've been following the manual for this problem and I think I've narrowed it down to the starter...

When I turn the key: the dash idiot lights turn on. I don't hear anything; no clicking from the starter and the engine doesn't turn over. No noise whats so ever.

I've checked the obvious...Transmission selector is on Park. All battery connections are solid and clean, the battery is 4 months with the lights, horn, A/C, and radio work fine. The ignition system is 4 months old and all the wiring looks fine(MSD System). That leaves the Starter Connections and solenoid.

I haven't tried anything yet besides troubleshooting all of this. I've checked all the wiring connected to the Starter... the positive battery cable is solid and very tight. The other two wires connected to the starter are moderately tight; the nut is holding the wire in place to the starter but I can still move the wire with my finger - it seems very minor and I doubt that's a problem.

The week before, I pulled it into the garage to avoid the incoming snow and ice.
Before any of this, there has been no sign of anything going wrong, everything was running strong. This issue just happened one week later.

What do you guys think the problem is? What should I tackle first?

1967 Chevrolet Impala 4 door "post" sedan
327 5.4L V8 - 3-speed TH350

Last edited by Classiccarman; 01-16-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM

I'm sure someone else is going to give you a more in depth and helpful answer, but this will at least give you a start.

First, make sure the wires on your starter are on right. It's not difficult to swap the wire going to the coil with the one coming from the switch.

Second, take a test wire and connect it to a 12 volt source. Then touch the other end to the terminal on the solenoid that turns the starter. If it turns, you know it's in the wiring.

This will definitely tell you if the starter is bad or not.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! Doesn't look like I'll be getting anymore.
I'll be tightening the screws on the solenoid first, since they were loose. I'm curious if that'll do the trick.

If it doesn't work, I'll do what you said. If it spins, I'll check all the wiring using a volt meter. If it doesn't spin, I'll just have to take it off, get it tested, and get a new one.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM

I suspect a sudden loss of function is most likely on the low wattage side of the wiring (the car's ignition circuit). First thing I would do is try starting it in neutral as well as park and holding the starter switch on start while moving the gear shift selector arm. I suspect it is your neutral safety switch that has either opened up (burned out) or gotten knocked out of alignment (it is located at the base of the steering column and susceptible to a shoe pressing on it).

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

So I haven't had a chance to try anything till today.
So it starts in Neutral but not park. However, it only started 1 out of 3 times till the engine turned over(First 2 tries, nothing happened). I think it's doing that because when I was trying to tighten the starter wires, I accidentally knocked one of the wires loose(tightened the other) and I haven't been able to tighten it till I jack up the car.
It's safe to assume that the neutral safety switch needs to be replaced.

So where exactly is it located? the very base the steering column behind the brake pedal?

Last edited by Classiccarman; 01-28-2013 at 03:42 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

So I haven't had a chance to try anything till today.
So it starts in Neutral but not park. However, it only started 1 out of 3 times till the engine turned over(First 2 tries, nothing happened). I think it's doing that because when I was trying to tighten the starter wires, I accidentally knocked one of the wires loose(tightened the other) and I haven't been able to tighten it till I jack up the car.
It's safe to assume that the neutral safety switch needs to be replaced.

So where exactly is the neutral safety switch located?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM

If I remember correctly the wires are purple and black under the dash near the column unless you have a console the it is under the console
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

So far I had to redo the wiring connected to the starter because they have obviously deteriorated over time, I replaced the connectors with waterproof connectors.
After taking care of that, I ran some tests in different gears:
Park: Didn't start
Neutral: Didn't start
Back to park: It started
With engine running: I switched to every gear as a test; no engine failure
So I guess that's like what Dave was saying, switching back and forth, except I didn't hold the starter down while doing so. So I still have to find time to get a new safety switch and install it.
Is it safe to drive? Or at some point will it just fail to start altogether?
Also I'm just going to take a guess and say the switch is behind the brake under the black cover at the base the column because that cover has a very similar shape on it that looks like the safety switch shape

Last edited by Classiccarman; 01-30-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page