burnt choke spring? holley 600cfm 80457 - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to csf64ss Send a message via Yahoo to csf64ss
burnt choke spring? holley 600cfm 80457

any opinion's on this...i was havin a problem with my battery goin dead for quite sometime...so after reading here...i replaced my ignition switch at the dash....as well as a new light switch.....so i installed a new battery..and now the 283 (its gettin gas) will fire up w/starting fluid, and run at high rpm...but as soon as i let go of the linkage....she idles down and dies......the source of 12 volt power was from tapping into the wiper motor...which i read was a good source....so now im inclined to think that with the faulty key switch...not only was my battery "on"....but also a constant 12 volts goin to the mettalic spring...and burnt it out?.........anyone run into this?....prior to the battery dead issue the carb functioned fine....start up high idle...kick it down after a few minutes...and idled fine..........thanx for any input...charlie

MR.CHARLIE
CSF64SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 PM

Holley sells a new complete electric choke as a service part.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/45-...FRMZnQod42IA9A

I suspect almost any other carb you have lying around has a similar bimetal strip inside the housing to see if that would fit instead. Here is a pdf written by Holley on their carbs identifying the parts and tuning them.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ech%20Info.pdf

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ded%20View.pdf

As far as the choke goes you can work the fast idle speed cam located on the passenger side of the carb under the choke down rod by hand to get the motor to idle normally if it is going to.

Yours sounds more involved that the carb just being stuck on the choke's fast idle cam though. Have you had the intake off recently?

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

thanx dave knew youd chime in!....no the engine has not been apart since the initial top end several years back...all the linkage is intact..carb...never apart...car has sat for a few months..but has fresh fuel...it did "spit" out the air horn ...but i gently tapped the float w/tiny ball peen ....and that rectified that.....im not one to just go an buy a new carb.....because it has never failed/had any issues after the initial adjustments per factory sheet..... when i go to fire up ...i blip the throttle from under the hood and here it squirt...i give it a small shot of eather...crank it an she fires right up but i have to hold the throttle open by hand....im gonna work on it today/tmorow...but first i will call holley tech an run the scenario by them an see what they offer as well................ based on what ive read on the internet/ other forums....im hopeing im on track with the burnt bi/met spring being fried from constant voltage.......oh an thanx to you and others here with the diagnosis of the faulty 49 year old key switch issue........

MR.CHARLIE
CSF64SS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM

What you are describing sounds like trash under the needle and seat. You could remove the fuel bowl and the needle and float to examine the seat for trash. If clean shake the float to listen for any gas inside of it.

If you have a plastic float in your fuel bowl where the plastic is becoming "gas"logged to the point where it is not as buoyant as it used to be. This "sinking" float doesn't close the needle and seat as tightly as it should. An older style brass float is what Holley uses in all of their newer gasohol fuel and straight alcohol carburetors. The plastic float has become problematic with gasohol. If you have an old 600 cfm Holley sitting on the parts shelf you could steal the float out of that one.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

this carb is circa 2001?.....i have thought about the soaked float issue too!....and also the blow out power valve...which they claim to have solved......and then theres the issue of ethanol....which wasnt availiable back when i bought this carb..so i was concerned about that too........dave i think im just gonna play w/it...and order a new choke spring tonight for 20 bucks.............its gotta be that.....because i havent fudged with it............but the constant 12 v to the spring thing sounds like a go.....ill post the end result soon....thanx ..charlie...

MR.CHARLIE
CSF64SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page