Water leak - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Water leak

Deck lid water problem
was wondering if anyone is having these problems. I have a 61 bubble top. The car interior stays dry so does the inside of the trunk. However when i open the trunk after it rains water comes pouring out from the inside and outer skin of the trunk lid. looks like the drain holes are open. but they look like they are in the wrong place. i think they should be at the lowest point so all water would drain out. next question can i or should i seal up from the inside all trim and molding bolt holes with some type of sealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Welcome to the Team Rick!

As I understand your problem the water that should be running down the channel sealed by the gasket and the trunk lid to keep water out of the truck, is instead running into the space between the inner bracing and outer trunk lid?

If so verify there isn't something blocking the water channel to cause water to back up. It should run out as fast as the roof and rear glass direct the water into the trunk lid channel or gutter.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Dave. To answer your question yes the holes on the deck lid are free and clear. The reason i know this is when i raise the deck lid the water comes pouring out of the holes into the trunk floor

Rick

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM

How about the rain gutters on each side of the trunk where all of the rain water should run down both sides of the trunk to exit at the lower lip of the trunk lid. Are they unobstructed and flowing freely. Or is something pushing the weather striping into the gutter to obstruct the free flow of rain water.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Dave i checked them they look clear. Is it possible that the water is coming through either the taillight mounting holes or maybe the v molding mounting holes. later today i am getting in the trunk with a flashlight and have a buddy run the garden hose over the roof and deck lid. hopefully i can nail it down that way. Ill keep you posted
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixpro View Post
Dave i checked them they look clear. Is it possible that the water is coming through either the taillight mounting holes or maybe the v molding mounting holes. later today i am getting in the trunk with a flashlight and have a buddy run the garden hose over the roof and deck lid. hopefully i can nail it down that way. Ill keep you posted
That sounds like a good plan. Take a small flashlight as well as the big one so you can get it up flush against the trunk lid to look at how well the seal sits. I will bet it is being pushed out of shape and blocking the gutter preventing the water from draining.

This could be the result of a bad collision repair job (looking around inside the trunk might reveal wrinkled metal from a collision). Or as simple as a poorly reproduced piece of weatherstripping, that is just the wrong size, or shape for the application.

I would think if the tail light gasket were leaking you would have water in the trunk.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page