66 convertible with 283 sputtering at acc - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

66 convertible with 283 sputtering at acc

my 66 with a 283 idles fine , ijust rebuilt the carberator, the dwell is at 30 degrees, the timing is at 6 degrees btc, however when i accelerate the engine sputters until it reaches a crusing speed, any feedback on this? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 AM

is the timing advancing when you accelerate? factory distributor? is the carb shooting 2 streams of gas when you work the accelerator? have you checked the distributor vacuum advance? how many miles on the engine...could the timing chain be stretched?
there's you a start!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM

Check the accelerator pump in the carb, ports could be plugged.With engine off, remove the air cleaner and visually ensure the accelerator pump is working by rapidly opening the throttle plates, you should see a STEADY stream of gas being shot into the carb, if not pump could be the problem. One last thing, did you have the problem before the car was rebuilt. Not everyone knows how to rebuild properly. Doesn't sound like a timing problem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, the carb was just rebuilt last week, i replaced the vacuum advance, doesnt seem to have any vacuum leaks ,that i can see, with the dwell meter on, and the rpms turned higher, the meter stays at 30 degrees, so i dont think its the distributor. Im going to replace the coil , wires,cap and rotor this weekend, and see where it goes from there, again, thanks for the replies, ill stay posted
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:50 PM

I also have a 66 Impala, 283, Rebuilt 2 bl carb, new cap, rotor, wires, plugs etc... It wants to stall at slow acceleration off idle but accelerates fine when you nail the gas from idle. Im interested to see what's your solution because Ive checked all I can think of. Good luck with it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
BA.

Bruce, you're on the right track I think.

it sounds like it could be a bad combustion situation. eg. weak spark (which it sounds like you'll cover next), or bad plugs. Also, a tight plug gap can hurt low-speed combustion so hopefully you've check those out already.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Sounds like it could be an off idle lean condition. What kind of carb is it? The idle mixture screws may need tweaking and/or accelerator pump not working properly. If its a Rochester 2 barrel sometimes on reassembly the accel. pump diaphram on the pump piston gets squashed in the cylinder a little crooked. This has happened to me. Also I think the stock timing should be set at 4 degrees.

Last edited by matt's66; 03-04-2009 at 09:17 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys, actually the problem was twofold. the jets on the rebuilt carb were too small, i drilled them out, the problem got better, then i realized the less lead additive i used, the better the engine ran..........so i just use less when i fill up and it seems to be o k. Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page