Sinkhole at Corvette museum in Kentucky. - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
BA.

Sinkhole at Corvette museum in Kentucky.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/12/54...orvette-museum

Bummer!!!
They may need to re-think the whole museum and location.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:03 PM

G.M is pulling all the vehicles until they find out whats goin' on. The picture I seen there was a split window in the hole. At first I thought it happened outside!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 PM

They only lost eight cars so far: unfortunately one of the eight was the 1963 Corvette Spyder show car. Another was a 1962 black painted Corvette that was on loan from a private owner that also went into the hole. Two others where production models where the only thing to distinguish them was the sequence number (one was the 500,000 'vette ever built, and the first car of a C something production run where I didn't hear the year mentioned).

I am shocked to hear that they have limestone caves in eastern Kentucky (when I was at Mammoth Cave National Park they said it was the biggest series of caves in the world running as far as sixty miles in every direction from the park: which the ranger modified to say except down, when I asked about encountering magma boiling up through the mantle). Most people know that wherever you have under ground caves you are prone to sink holes; especially if you have ground water moving through the caves.

This is so true in Florida that they exclude sinkhole damage on your home insurance from Gainesville south. Sink holes are so common here that they don't even make the back page of the news paper unless the sinkhole kills you; such as when a guy was sucked in while sleeping in his bedroom (that same week there were three others in a line running through Seffner paralleling, but two blocks north of US 92).

A week ago a nice old lady in her early seventies awoke in Brooksville and was trying to back her Toyota out of the garage when she noticed that her drive way was lying in the bottom of a forty foot deep hole that had opened up in her front yard (swallowing her whole front yard and a little bit of her neighbors on each side.) Within a week she could form a club as four more opened up in her neighborhood.

Generally once every five years or so a major intersection in Springhill on the south side of Brooksville not far from Weeki Wachee Springs "home of the Mermaids" (daughters of Greek sponge fishermen who can hold their breath for three to four minutes) collapses into a hundred foot diameter sink hole and has to be filled in, over and over again, as it is in the center of town and the Fill and asphalt is consider the price of living there.

If you are drilling a ground water well and your hammer sends the well casing pipe flying into the ground on the down stroke. Quickly move the drilling truck away from the area, and then engage a hydrology engineer that specializes in soil stabilization to check out your building site with ground penetrating Radar to see just how big the cave beneath your homestead is. If it is too big to economically fill with concrete pay the engineer off with cash and sell our building site (you pay the engineer with cash because it is illegal to sell land in Florida If you know it is prone to sink hole damage, but then the guy you bough it from didn't say anything about a sink hole forming to you did he?).

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 AM

I bet they will end up demolishing the whole building and move everything a few miles away.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I bet they will end up demolishing the whole building and move everything a few miles away.
NPR was interviewing the manager of the building as I was typing the above response and the reporter asked if they would leave the cars were they are and include it on the tour. She reportedly looked over the rim of the hole and noted the three caves visible looking like niches for statues in a cathedral and said that sounded like a good idea and would recommend it to the committee deciding what to do.

She did add that five of the eight fell "softly" and could be recovered and repaired. The other three where either buried or destroyed by rubble.

The sad thing is this event took hours to occur (think of sand flowing through an hour glass, as it is essentially the same process), and the security guards just sat down and watched the show after notifying their superiors of the problem. Had any one though to get the keys and drive them out of danger only a few if any would have been lost.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
NPR was interviewing the manager of the building as I was typing the above response and the reporter asked if they would leave the cars were they are and include it on the tour. She reportedly looked over the rim of the hole and noted the three caves visible looking like niches for statues in a cathedral and said that sounded like a good idea and would recommend it to the committee deciding what to do.

She did add that five of the eight fell "softly" and could be recovered and repaired. The other three where either buried or destroyed by rubble.

The sad thing is this event took hours to occur (think of sand flowing through an hour glass, as it is essentially the same process), and the security guards just sat down and watched the show after notifying their superiors of the problem. Had any one though to get the keys and drive them out of danger only a few if any would have been lost.

Big Dave

From my understanding, the process leading up to a sinkhole lasts hours but the sinkhole itself happens quickly. If you watch the security camera footage, you only see the floor bow in and out for maybe 10 seconds and the hole opens up. I doubt they could have done anything. They only way this could be prevented is to have the soil under the museum examined for stability once or twice a year.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM

Holy crap. Can you imagine walking in to open up the museum in the morning and--Oh no! 8 vettes we're eaten by a sinkhole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page