Motor Trend review of a 64 Impala - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Motor Trend review of a 64 Impala

While going through my shop manuals for my 64 Impala, I found a copy of a Motor Trend road test of the 64 Impala (May 64 issue). I had made this copy from library microfilm way back in the early 80’s. Kind of fun to see some of the comments and specs.

Price as tested $3528.20
Powerglide, 327 V8 with 250hp
“0-30 3.5 seconds
“0-45 6.3
“0-60 9.3
¼ mile 17.1 seconds at 81 mph
Speeds in gears
1st 62 mph at 4600 rpm
2nd 110 at 4500
Observed miles per hour per 1000 rpm in top gear 24.5
Differential standard ratio: 3.08:1
Wheels 14” diameter
Tires 7.5 x 14 Four ply rayon
Curb weight with full tank 3660

“Snappy acceleration, 110 mph top speed”

“There wasn’t much nose dive during hard stops, but brakes heated up quickly, causing wheel lock up and swerving.”

Under normal circumstances, the Chevy was smooth and comfortable, with about the normal amount of body lean expected from a family six-seater (“normal” means fairly much).”

We traveled a good number of miles over winding mountain roads. The car could be driven with verve as long as we kept reminding ourselves that is it was a family sport coupe and not a sports car/ Handling a ride gave us a nice balance of control plus comfort. Body lean was considerable, though. While the bench seats don’t give much lateral support (our safety belts held us behind the wheel), they give good under leg support and fair back support.

“Even with a good deal of torture, our test Impala averaged 11.7 mpg over 1000 miles of driving. Our high was 16.7 mpg on the highway, with a low of 9 mpg when driving especially hard.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page