Fixed my floppy quarter windows - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Fixed my floppy quarter windows

Hello, as some of you might know from my previous posts, I'm restoring a 70 2 door sport coupe. One little problem I decided to tackle was the quarter windows, they have flopped around since I have owned this car but it didn't really bother me because they were either open or closed all the way and they didn't flop in those positions.
Well I removed the back seat to fix my non operable rear window defogger, and since I had that out I thought I would investigate the windows while I was at it (oh what a slippery slope that attitude is) anyway I found the problem and a fix and thought I would share with other 69-70 owners facing the same problem.
Here is the broken guide bushing at the bottom of the glass.

Looks like a simple fix, just replace that broken bushing, right? Well after 2 days of internet searching I came up empty, seems that the 69-70 impalas are kind of orphans in the world of big Chevrolets, so I got to looking at the broken guide and what it really does. It doesn't seem to have any real stress of function other than guiding the bottom up the track, why couldn't I just attach a washer or something there to hold it in the track?
I got to digging in my bucket of nuts, bolts, washers, and all the other little things in there and came up with a pair of shock washers (the ones that holds the top bushing in the shock mount) it is the same diameter on the curved edge.
[IMG][/IMG]
Just needs to be trimmed to slide through the channel, a little grinder work and wire wheel to de-burr it and now I have this.
[IMG][/IMG]
It slides through the channel perfectly, now how to attach to the existing part still on the glass.
I decided that I would drill and tap the recieving end of that little nub and secure it that way, this is where i am glad I have a drill press because I can't imaging trying this part with a hand drill.

I tapped it for a 4-40 thread

Lined it up for a test fit

And assembled before installing the window back in the car.

I made sure to lube everything up real good after re-assembly. and test the operation.

It works perfectly, windows roll up and down effortlessly and smooth as butter, after a little alignment, I have fully functional windows.
I hope this helps others with this problem.

~Mick~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Nice write up! Good work...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM

^^^X2 on write up^^^

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM
BA.

Triple that!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Isn't this a great site !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page