Noooob - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Noooob

Howdy,
The wife and I bought a 2001 Impala a few weeks ago we love the car so far. It is a base model with the 3.8L and most all the options, it has 159,000 miles on it. We are huge Chevy fans right now we have 7 in our stable, 62&63 Chevy II's a 84K10 PU 88&90 V2500 Suburbans and a 84 S10 Blazer. Sheesh I gotta get rid of sumthin! We are looking to do a few mods to the Impy to get some better MPG (currently avg. about 23mpg).

Thanks
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Welcome to the Team JON!

Sorry I can not help as I am a carburetor kind of guy. This board is for pre EFI kind of cars for the most part, as we support the 1958-'76 model years mostly. The EFI fell off my 1989 Caprice and the electronic QuadraJet on my 1985 Impala was replaced with a big Holley decades ago.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Welcome to the site!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM
BA.

Welcome Jon, that's a lotta Chebbies you got there!

Although it costs ya money, synthetic oils throughout can help your MPG, beyond that I'd be guessing with options like new plugs, air pressure in tires, new air intake setup with low-restriction filter and a light foot!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 AM

Welcome Jon, 23 mpg is about all your going to get unless your going down hill with the key off.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Welcome Jon, that's a lotta Chebbies you got there!

Although it costs ya money, synthetic oils throughout can help your MPG, beyond that I'd be guessing with options like new plugs, air pressure in tires, new air intake setup with low-restriction filter and a light foot!
That is kinda what i was thinking. Been toying with the idea of adding a k&n cold air intake, and better plugs i could get a mile or two more. I'm not really after power the car scoots around real good. Yes I do like older impalas too after all they kinda have a lot of the same lines as my little Chevy II's do.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 AM

welcome aboard! My parents had an Impala like yours, loved it to death! However, I got them a super sweet deal on a Buick Lucerne through the dealership that owned the body shop I worked at.

I don't remember what they were getting for MPG's, but it was in your ballpark...

You've got a nice collection of Chevy's for sure, post up some pics if you have some!

Good, Fast, Cheap, but you can only pick two!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maas restorations View Post
welcome aboard! My parents had an Impala like yours, loved it to death! However, I got them a super sweet deal on a Buick Lucerne through the dealership that owned the body shop I worked at.

I don't remember what they were getting for MPG's, but it was in your ballpark...

You've got a nice collection of Chevy's for sure, post up some pics if you have some!
Or 88 burb former driver and now getting made over into a trail rig

The gasser

Waiting on some finish welding on the chassis, cage, motor install (327 with Trick Flow G1 Twisted Wedge heads) , Plumbine ect.
The wifes 62

230 L6 with a 390 Holley Stove bolt split header Saginaw 4sped, this car is the most fun I have had on four wheels!
My 84 is a POS daily driver work truck. The 84 S10 Blazer is waiting for the the full size frame, that I just got and have to strip the old body off. The 90 burb I just traded off for parts for the blazer, it had 6.2L with busted crank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page