After 20 years of sitting? - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

After 20 years of sitting?

As some already know I'm waiting for my car to arrive in May. 63 Impala SS Convertible.

A little history is the car was parked in a garage 20 years ago due to the rear brake hose failing. My father just could never make the time to fix it so the car sat. The power-glide has puked its internals out so I already know I'll have to as a minimum reseal it up. The car has sat for 20 years in a garage in southern Nevada with no AC or Heat. I'm looking to put a list together on everything that should be replaced to put this car safely back on the road, this also includes changes that should be made for modern fuels and oil. Just trying to put together a cost for getting the car to a point that I can drive it for a summer or two before starting the frame off restoration. I want to get my engine and 4 speed conversion kit put together before I start the restoration as it will be easier to put this stuff in with the body off the frame.

Figure this should make a good conversation topic and maybe a couple stories. Some upgrades will occur as well in the brake system and probably ignition system, I don't know if I remember how to set points anymore, this it the last car I did set points in with my grandfathers help, but I'm not making them part of the list. That is more of a wish list.

Right now I have
  1. Fuel lines and hoses
  2. Brake lines and hoses
  3. fan belts
  4. radiator hoses
  5. new brake shoes w/self adjusters
  6. Heater hoses

Should I replace the fuel tank or see about having it coated on the inside? I'm going to have to drop it down and drain it in the least to get the old gas out. I've heard the new gas doesn't like old steel gas tanks.

Maybe after this list we can go into work that needs done like adjusting lifters, flushing coolant system, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:32 AM

If the tank was empty you could just clean it. If it sat with gas it in for 20 years possibly have it boiled out and checked for leaks. May as well take the radiator at the same time. Heater core may need to be replaced as well. Good luck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 PM

south west weather can be brutal on a car. I see you said the car was parked in a garage but typically the dry hot weather down there will perish all of your rubber moldings. But if you are going to do a frame-off restoration, I suspect this will be addressed during any body work.

your approach is sound; verify all major systems (fuel, ignition, braking, suspension, etc.), replace all fluids and review and possibly rebuild all drivetrain components as they may have rusted or seized during that time if the engine and trans were never turned over. I would plan and budget for the worst - that is a 100% rebuild and then ease back on that where you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page