Mandatory Jail Time For Speeders in Illinois - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mandatory Jail Time For Speeders in Illinois

Be Aware. Effective Jan 1, 2011, Illinois has passed a law requiring a MANDATORY 6 months in jail plus a $1500 fine for speeders caught going 30mph over the limit and 1 year and a $2500 fine for 40mph over the limit.

In 2010 our Gov Quinn pardoned hundreds of prisoners due to prison overcrowding and costs. They were supposed to be "non violent" criminals. One guy killed his ex-girlfriend within days of release. I guess we now have room in our prisons for speeders.

The position our Secretary of State is taking is that too many judges are imposing court supervision and that the infraction is not being posted to the person's driving record. I guess the solution to that is mandatory jail time.

This means those sudden, 10 second bursts in my C5 Corvette are over!

Be cautious. Big government may be coming to your state soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Its all about the money. As states loose government money due to cutbacks,they have to come up with ways to replenish the money. The more money the states need ,the more LAWs they will dream up. And we keep voteing these ******** in office.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
And we keep voteing these ******** in office.

Unfortunately, there's no one with brains or common sense to vote in. You can only pick the lesser of two evils. What we need is to vote in average folks with zero political experience, or else things will never get better.

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Well you wont be seeing me in Iiinois.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK99 View Post
Unfortunately, there's no one with brains or common sense to vote in. You can only pick the lesser of two evils. What we need is to vote in average folks with zero political experience, or else things will never get better.
Just like that South Park episode where they were forced to vote between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich for their new school mascot.

Good, Fast, Cheap, but you can only pick two!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK99 View Post
I would like to have public service compulsory; just like it is for jury duty. Unfortunately, just like in jury duty, those with any brains can get out of it. So we would still have the same idiots who sit on juries governing the country.

A better option would be a compulsory two year public service required of anyone getting a post baccalaureate degree, so the only way to serve two terms would be if you were awarded a PhD. Our colleges are taught by graduate students now so why not have them running the country as well.

Big Dave
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

The mandatory jail time is what blows me away. If they want to attack the high roller, and if it's a monetary grab by state government, then stay with the stiff fine and maybe even a license suspension. But 6-12 months in jail for a traffic violation is outrageous.

Many of us like to jump on our toys from time to time and I'm sure the majority of us choose a clear, open road where we are not threatening the lives of others. Like I said earlier, a 10 second passing gear blast in my C5, even though it results in me going 40 mph over the limit momentarily, surely does not warrant extended jail time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 AM

I believe what will happen is that the police will write the ticket for just under that max, speed,,thus a stiff fine and not alot of paper work for the cops. I have many good friends that are cops,and trust me most of the time they are very lenient,except when there is a smart mouth,then watch out
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

They implemented this in Ontario a few years back. 50km/h (30mph) over, mandatory jail, $2000 fine, impoundment fees, etc.

The surprising part of this is that people still get caught almost every day on the major Ontario highway (401).

There have been about 3 people who've challenged this and won, including a grandma who was passing a rig, got frightened because it sped up, gunned it, and was caught doing 51km/h over just as she was pulling past.

Rob
'69 Impala 327 Custom
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Pfff the speed limit is 55 mph on I-88 and I-355 and everyone does 75-80 anyway. If they tried to pull that crap on me I'd just get a lawyer. Illinois is in a deep hole thanks to all the idiots that run the state so the public will end up paying the deficit one way or another.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 AM

I live in the south so my 4 speeders will never make it to Illinios, I get lousey gas mileage. .
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:33 PM

I like that license plate, there should be one for every state.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I like that license plate, there should be one for every state.
Yea, I would love to see one for Kaleeforia with Ahrnold on it
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Mandatory jail time for speeding is rediculous!! I would move if i lived in Illinois!

1965 impala 2dr
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palalt View Post
I'm sure the majority of us choose a clear, open road where we are not threatening the lives of others.
Like, say, ...a drag strip? ..or maybe an SCCA event or track days at a local road race course?

I agree jail time is ridiculous, but there's no need to speed on a public highway or street. ESPECIALLY 30 or 40 mph OVER the speed limit. When I want to go fast, I take it to the track. I fill my need for speed and then some. Then go home happy.

I'll tell you right now this law wasn't about money for the state. That stiff fine gets used up in a big quick hurry putting someone in jail for 6 months. The state will end up losing money big time if they enforce it for every offender. This was just someone using a sledgehammer to kill a butterfly, metaphorically speaking.

Don't listen to me, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 30 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page