Good one for the geeks in the crowd... - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Good one for the geeks in the crowd...

For one of my college classes, I'm to create an Access database, (DB). I can use damn near anything for this so I decided to catalog all my car mags. It's gonna be a pretty big undertaking but this way I'll have a search-able DB so when I need to find a tech article, I'll already have it in the DB.

Has anyone else here become that anal and done this or anything like this? It will be interesting to see how bad our geekness has gone, (Mods too!).

Lets hear about them or even see them if you can link to it.

Vance

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
And on my own website ~ http://www.violentlee.com/biscayne.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentlee View Post
For one of my college classes, I'm to create an Access database, (DB). I can use damn near anything for this so I decided to catalog all my car mags. It's gonna be a pretty big undertaking but this way I'll have a search-able DB so when I need to find a tech article, I'll already have it in the DB.

Has anyone else here become that anal and done this or anything like this? It will be interesting to see how bad our geekness has gone, (Mods too!).

Lets hear about them or even see them if you can link to it.

Vance
I have every HotRod Mag published back to 1959. I have not only scanned most of them into my computer but have a loose leaf note book full of page protectors containg the contents page from each volume so I can find things.

I have all of the Car Craft mags going back to 1960, and all of the Rod & Custom mags back to 1960 and almost all of the Popular Hot Rodding, Super Chevy, and Chevy High Performance mags printed (I just have not scanned them all as of yet). I also have all of The Chevy Rumble mags (ecept for Volume Number One) and most of the Muscle Car mags printed (Muscle Machines, and Muscle Car Enthusiast, as well as the original Muscle Car put out by Peterson Publishing). I have a bunch of early sixties Cars High Performance mags and Super Stock mags from the sixties as well.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 AM

Sounds like a cool little project, Approximately how many mags do you have?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM
BA.

Similar to Dave, I have a loose leaf note book full of page protectored technical articles only, sorted by topic.

It's 2+ big 3" binders.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogman75 View Post
Sounds like a cool little project, Approximately how many mags do you have?
Nothing like Big Dave... I've prolly got 200-400 issues total. The last time I moved, I FOOLISHLY gave away three to four time this just so I wouldn't have to move them. I still kick myself for that.

Vance

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
And on my own website ~ http://www.violentlee.com/biscayne.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Having a father in the printing industry as a kid, I've got countless milk crates filled with many kinds of car magazines going back to the 60's. Most popular are Hot Rod, Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding. Also have a monstrous collection of Playboy's going back to 1964. You'd be surprised how many cool old car ads are in those Playboys!

I started scanning ads in some of the old mag's a few years ago for digital archiving but it is very time consuming. Good luck with yout project. Would be cool to be able to reference technical articles with a search function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page