1966 Impala from 327 to 350 cu in. - value? - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

1966 Impala from 327 to 350 cu in. - value?

I'm new to classic cars and am considering purchasing a 1966 impala. It has a new engine, a 350. the car came with a 327 engine in it, but was switched during restoration. It works, runs well, all electrical works... my question is this: does not having a standard/stock engine like the 327 and the switch to the 350 increase or decrease its value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

1966 Impala from 327 to 350 cu in. - value?

I'm new to classic cars and am considering purchasing a 1966 impala. It has a new engine, a 350. the car came with a 327 engine in it, but was switched during restoration. It works, runs well, all electrical works... my question is this: does not having a standard/stock engine like the 327 and the switch to the 350 increase or decrease its value?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966impala1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1870  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:45 PM

Depends. If you are thinking of buying it for yourself, unless you care, it wouldn't matter. A 350 has a huge after-market following, and arguably has the most readily available parts of all the small blocks. If you are thinking of buying it to resell, someone interested in restoring it might keep looking, but someone wanting to drive and have fun with it might not care. The fact that is is a non-ss and is a 4 door is probably going to keep the die hard restorers at bay, so my thought would be to not pay attention to what engine is in it. If it runs good, and you just want to have fun with it, a small block is a small block.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM

I agree. Especially since it is a four door. That means that it is not as "collectible" as a coupe or a convertible.

PS: it is bad internet etiquette to post the same thing twice on the same forum (cross posting)

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 PM

If the car is very original it would actually decrease it's value, but if you were to sell it to someone who would like the idea of a new 350, it could actually increase it's value.

Bill
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Generally you would loose maybe 20 percent value when you switch out a motor but in a 4 door it shouldnt matter much.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Bill is right. Unless it is a number matching show car, I do not think it really matters. If anything, you can treat the move from 327 to 350 as an upgrade. Plus if the original engine is not in owner's garage, then just think of it as 66 with 350. It wouldn't stop me from buying the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page