Wow. This is really something... - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Wow. This is really something...

I was fooling around on the computer last night and ran across this.

This is not mine, nor does it belong to anybody I know.

I just wanted an opinion on it's authenticity... I don't think the valve covers are correct, as well as little things like the seat belts and horn button....

No big deal. But are these cars going up in value like this???

It is a beautiful car.

I hope this is OK to post here, if not, please forgive me and remove.

Best, Steve

http://significantcars.com/cars/1966.../fullsize.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 AM

Scanning down the pictures, the attention to detail in the engine compartment and interior is awesome. The body also looks perfect, like a fresh restoration. Then I got to the undercarriage and was shocked. Somebody definitely did a top down restoration. I would bet this car has 46 year old suspension and brake parts. It doesn't look like they even 'cleaned' the underside.

Then I clicked on the link saying "back to description" and saw $69,000.00 and an advertised original 15,000 miles. All I can say is, "Good Luck With That"!!

The valve covers are repops and the seat belts were probably added later. I remember working in a gas station in 1968 and we were installing seat belts in cars like crazy. I think the government started seat belt laws in 1968 and we were retrofitting many older cars with belts.

Don't get me wrong. This is a beautiful car but I was really discouraged with how nasty the undercarriage looks. Not what I expected.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

OK, thanks. I had original seat belts in mine, and did replace them, but with the same kind...
Just a lot of little things makes me think that a lot of money was spent restoring this car, and even the front suspension bushings look to have been replaced perhaps when the exhaust was installed...

Btw, is it my imagination or the angle of the camera that makes it look like the oil filter is nestled up awfully close to, or against, the exhaust?

But it looks like somebody completed a serious "cosmetic' restoration.

It is a highly optioned car.... I was surprised that it didn't have the in dash tach, or was that primarily for manual transmission cars?

Just curious about it being a numbers matching car except for the engine, so highly optioned. You would have to assume there was some documentation if this was a 15k car... I wonder why it needed a replacement motor? Who knows... Just thought this was a curious car, at that kind of price. I think I would have enjoyed the tilt steering and power windows!

Really cool though... I debated forever about going triple black on mine. Ended up going with the original Madiera Maroon... We're working on getting it painted now...

I hope it turns out nearly as well! I have to admit, it looks like a rolling tuxedo!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
BA.

wow, that's definitely beautiful on top isn't it? I think it's over-priced too.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM

The GM decals in the door jams didn't start till 67 . 66s did have seat belts front and rear. I am with BA, the top of the car is beautiful. The bottom needs lots of help. I'm also not buying the red lines and chrome valve covers. The car is not a 69000.00 car.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Beauty is only skin deep

Hey, great looking car no doubt about that and I have seen it many times. There are sommant things done wrong with the restoration to the trained eye of originality if that's a concern. Tires wrong, gauges added in and done wrong, tilt Tele added and some wrong parts, seat belts added, am/fm added, on and on.
Injust think that if Tou are going to take the time to use original parts, do it right.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like a tilt-telescopic column horn button??

TIME IS SPEED... SPEED IS TIME...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Column

Its the right column but it's out of a caprice with the all chrome signal lever and tilt adjuster. Seat belt buckles should not be red, car was originally an AM car and AM/FM was added. Only AM cars came with rear antennas, AM/FM had 31" non adjustable front antennas. Dual exhaust should have resonators, worst irate the added gauges without the lower dash pad which was part of the package. Th astrays should be gone as the padding covered that area. That is why they don't fit properly around the heater controls. AC compressor label should be orange not green, valve covers are wrong, decals on radiator shroud don't belong there, etc.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks- my understanding was that the GM decal was only on the driver door.... not on both, a common practice now.

I peeled one off my driver door- it was really old, cracked, and looked original, so I was going to replace it...

On another note, I don't think a leather upper shift boot was in any way correct. I bought the replacement upper shift boot (rubber).

However, if you look at my pics when I bought this car ( and I am the 2nd registered- though the 3rd actual owner), you'll see a rotted, disintigrated shift boot in leather which I had pulled and duplicated...

I don't know how it will fit, though I had it made off of the original template, but I thought it would be cool as a tribute to the original owner in his late 90's in California... Regardless, still cool in my book, being made off of the original template he had installed... I understand he was quite the ladies' man and loved his "dancer girls...."
I found a few strip club matchbooks from Las Vegas while taking this California car apart-- a lot of sand, too....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

fc66, you are a living wealth of knowledge, and thank you!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks

Enjoy the discussions
regarding originality.....

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page