I'm Back!!!! - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm Back!!!!

Some may have noticed my absence.

Well I am back (yeah I can hear the cries of Oh NOooo! all the way to my house).

Any way I feel I owe some an explanation of where I have been and how I have been spending my time.

I went to Fall Creek Falls State Park in TN to share Thanksgiving with my brother and his family, as well as his best friend with his family. Nothing unusual there I have done this a number of times. However I didn't race home (because I didn't have to go back to work like my younger brother who is only in his sixties). Instead I toured the Appalachians looking for apples even though it was late in the season. Drove up through NC and down into north Georgia. Failing in that I loaded up on pecans and pecan trees. While stashing the trees in the back of the motor home I was performing the task of exiting the motor home (difficulty value of eight points for the highest value elements of the routine, including the dismount) when my left knee gave out causing me to fall three steps down and rupturing the Quadreplex (vastus medialis obliquus) tendon completely on my left leg (leaving me without a leg to stand on), and partially tearing the right leg's Quadreplex tendon above the knee cap.

Well my wife wouldn't let me drive back, so she wanted to drive home after a day's stay at the Tifton area hospital. Needless to say driving at night (she doesn't see that well at night), having semi trucks roar by creating a wash off the front of the truck (bow wave if you will) combined with too much weight over the rear axle and my wife has the camper fish tailing across three lanes of traffic heading south on I-75. After finally getting the camper stopped an inch off the guard rail she decided that she should find a rest stop for the night.

In the morning we took ten and half hours to cover the six hour drive home. Once back in town she dropped me off at the local hospital (this one has actual doctors on staff and has an X-ray machine that moves on a robotic arm so the patient doesn't have to stand against the wall and hold this film plate steady while the tech leaves the room). They determined I tore up my leg and sent me out for an MRI (they have an MRI machine at the hospital, but I am so big they wanted me to break a rental MRI machine rather than break theirs).

So two days of surgery later, and a week after initially falling down, I am discharged from the hospital. But I don't get to go home. Just because I am a bed ridden senior and weigh 408 pounds they send me to a rehab center and old farts home.

This wonderful facility is old. It doesn't offer Wi-Fi, so there was no internet, not even phones in the room (or oxygen as far as that goes, some rooms have no running water and share a common toilet and bath). I am not saying they are cheap or anything; but most employees didn't speak English as their first, second, or even third language. All where working for minimum wage, and expressing a minimal desire to assist the patients. When asking for assistance one learned quickly that it was not their job and I would have to wait for another to come along for assistance (giving them credit when they where busy ignoring call buttons most of them where in the lounge studying correspondence courses in an attempt to upgrade their status from bed pan jockey to pill pusher).

The other set of employees are the "therapists". Theses fine folk are paid to perform the most sadistic acts on patients. If the girls only wore black leather and heels I am sure they could have easily doubled their salary. I can not complain (it is wise not to as they determine how long you are incarcerated before your are released, not to mention controlling how much the insurance company pays of your stay in this fine hostel; all based upon their report of your "progress").

Finally I can attest that I did prosper in one area as the food offered in this institution was of such quality that I lost twenty six pounds during my six week visit because the only thing edible was the sealed milk container.

So even though I can not really walk yet (I have steel braces and Velcro straps eating into my legs as I type) I have arrived back at home.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Welcome back, Dave! Hope the recovery goes well.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Welcome back Big Dave! Your convalescent stay made me think of the below statement that i've seen posted on facebook.

Let's put the seniors in jail, and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the seniors would have access to showers, hobbies,
and walks, they'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental
and medical treatment , wheel chairs etc. and they'd receive money instead
of paying it out.
They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be
helped instantly ,if they fell, or needed assistance.
Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be
ironed and returned to them.
A guard would check on them every 20 minutes, and bring their meals
and snacks to their cell. They would have family visits in a suite built for
that purpose.
They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling,
pool, and education.
Simple clothing , shoes, slippers, P.J.'s and legal aid would be free, on
request.
Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard ,with gardens.
Each senior could have a P.C. a T.V. radio, and daily phone calls.
There would be a board of directors , to hear complaints, and the guards
would have a code of conduct, that would be strictly adhered to.

The "criminals" would get cold food, be left all alone, and unsupervised.
Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week.
Live in a tiny room , and pay $5000.00 per month and have no hope
of ever getting out.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM

That's an incredible chain of events. Welcome back. You could have told us you were driving the Tail Of The Dragon road through Tennessee and North Carolina in a ZR1 Corvette doing 100 when a deer jumped out in front of the car and you swerved to save the life of the deer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up Getting hurt is not for older folks+ it sucks

Big Dave- Glad to hear you are on the mend. I had to go visit the other site to get info. Well I will bombard you with questions and overload your brain! I just got a disk of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly, It is Remastered from a concert in 1968 at the fillmore. Talk about memories!! Well you get your self squared awyed and do what the Wife and Doc says. SEEYA Don in Indiana
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Welcome back Dave, Seems you had quite a ordeal. You have to stay out of hospitals and old folks homes, Those places will kill you. I know, I had knee surgery about 5 weeks ago.
Your body may be used and abused but your mind seems sharp. Keep us young folks (60) in line on our Hobby of restoring and repairing these old Chevy's with your wisdom.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Good to have you back. Hopefully the healing process is less eventful.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Great to see ya back Big Dave. Sounds like you had quite an 'adventure'! Hope everything heals up fast and you're at full speed soon!

Kevin

'63 Impala SS 409/425 owned since '71
'64 Impala SS 327/300 factory 4sp p/s p/b air
'66 Impala 327/275 glide 2dr/hdtp
'66 Belair Wagon 283 700R4
'62 Impala 350/350 dual quad th350 2dr/hdtp
'00 Camaro SS 6sp hurst SLP
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM

Glad you're back, Dave! Have a speedy recovery.

Tom

1965 Impala SS Tahitian Turquoise 427 4 Speed
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Dave, all I can say is welcome back...I enjoy reading your answers to every ones questions.....my wife tells me every day I'm fat...so lets Loose weight together and we can call you skinny Dave...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 AM
BA.

welcome back Dave!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 AM

I would sue but you probably dont have a leg to stand on At least report it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Glad to see you are back......Donnie
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Hey, I'm glad both of you Florida, warm weather mechanics are back.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM

Glad your back Big Dave and thanks for your help with the 1967 Caprice Royal Purple contest.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM

Geez Dave. Thats quite an adventure you had to endure. Glad youre on the mend and back here to tap your wealth of knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page