Shows and classes..... - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Shows and classes.....

I'd like to have your opinion on this. We've been to two shows and the first one they put us in the street rod class. Not a chance! The second one we were in stock/original but most of the cars were either brand new or had been fully restored. This car got so many crowds of people just looking the car over and talking about it....many were taking pictures....it grabs your attention for sure. But it's 47 years old and it isn't new anymore.

I have my Mom's '61 Impala. Original, stock. Mom gave up her keys
about 8 years or so before she passed on in '94. The car sat in the garage
for years, four flat tires, dead battery, dirt-dobbers, dust, you get
the picture. So, we had a wrecker truck drag it out of the
garage...now this isn't the garage you guys have...this was a
dirt/gravel floor and the garage was out away from the house....built
back in the 1940's...and tow it over to my son's house when Mom
passed.

Danny put a new battery on it and it fired right up. So he cleaned up
the engine compartment, washed the car, replaced the hoses, etc., and
got it road worthy again. There's only 54,xxx original miles on this
car and it's 47 years old.

Now I have the car...it's still Danny's but I have it in my garage
and I'm gonna drive this thing once in awhile. So we go to shows.
Been to two. Both were disappointments.

I have an original '61 Impala that they put in the street rod class
the first show. Ha! The second show yesterday we were in the stock/original class.
And most of the stock/original cars in this class had been
restored...repainted...engines chromed....the '61 Impala that won a
trophy had been completely repainted, rechromed, and had Camaro
wheels....how is that original?

Everyone says 'don't repaint it...it's original....so? That doesn't
mean anything at the shows. It doesn't look like it just rolled off
the assembly line as it's 47 years old. But it's in great
condition...the paint is good, the interior has a worn place in the
driver's seat where Mom sat on a plastic cushion, but everything
on/in the car is original. The bumpers have been rechromed and under
the hood was painted but other than that it's stock/original. Anyone have any ideas?

Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:44 PM

I hear ya. It is hard to beat a new car like z06 corvette, Mustang Cobra, the trailer queens and on and on. If you are there for the trophys only you will be disapointed alot. I love to drive my cars and I do. You pick-up road rash and such which will get you beat at the show but I think I have much more fun with my cars then the trailer queen people. JMHO

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 PM

same here, way more fun to just cruise around in them. Another thing I notice is ..the younger crowd don't even give my impala a second look. Well, one did today, he hollered out..wow, that's pimpin'

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

It's not the trophy....it's the fair play. If I pay my registration fee I want an equal chance to win something same as the other guys. I enjoy the shows, talking to people, and this car gets so many crowds around it.....pictures taken.....young and old.....but when the trophies are handed out and a '61 Impala down the row that has been completely restored under the hood and paint, plus has chrome under the hood and old Camaro wheels, beats ya in an 'original/stock' class then that just rubs me the wrong way. There was not a car in that show that was more stock/original than mine. And, yes, an '08 Mustang also won......and that's ok because he was what the class said he was. We had a great time and if and when we ever do win something it won't be because we cheated. This guy who put his '61 in the stock/original class should've been in the modified class.

Carol

Last edited by GaDoll; 05-26-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added picture
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 PM

D**n...that's one sweet '61. Don't get discouraged. Try a couple more shows and if you get the same feeling don't go to anymore for competition. That's what my wife's Uncle did. He has a beautifully restore '72 Triumph that he took to a couple shows and got the same treatment you did. Not worth the frustration. After all, like the guys said. The pleasure is driving the car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 PM

Very nice car. I pretty much don't do shows much anymore I like the cruises that are held around here.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

That '69 is awesome!!!! Good job!!! You can be proud of all the hours you've given to that one.
Carol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Going to the cruise-in at Atlanta Motor Speedway this Friday night.....if you're in ATL area come on by. I'll let ya know how we do in this one.....they give out trophies or at least they did last year.....we'll see what happens. Haven't had the car out at night ...guess I'd better check the lights !!!!
Carol
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 PM

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 AM

Carol,
Try to find a show that has an Original-Unrestored class. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a First Place. Leave the car as is, enjoy it, maintain it. There are plenty of people who appreciate an unrestored car in great shape.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Carol,
Verne is right,at a few shows around here, we do have Ori-Unrestored class. From the pictured posted.....1000 point car!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys.....I appreciate your comments. The paint is original. The seats/covers are original with some wear. You just can't compete with a car that's been restored. I'm looking for original/unrestored classes and I don't believe there are any in our area. I'm going to start requesting these at the shows. There are plenty of cars for this class if they'd offer it. I'll let you know what happens Friday night.
Carol
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Carol,
Many unmolested original cars have had their historical significance erased by owners who took them to shows and couldn't compete in a "stock" class which was filled with restored cars. The cars received new paint jobs, interiors, complete engine compartment detailing, etc. The result? Better looking cars, fewer surviving original examples (which can never be replaced), a ton of money spent by the owner.....and a $10. trophy.

If you can't find a show with an unrestored class, enter the car anyway but ask for a display only class, or put a "do not judge" sign on it. You'll have a great time talking to people who appreciate your car for what it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page