Cleaning headlight covers - 01 Impala - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning headlight covers - 01 Impala

I've got a 2001 and I'm going to be giving her a cleanup this Saturday, but one problem that's bugged the hell out of me for the past few months is the headlight assemblies. They're both sealed but some residual moisture inside them is creating a foggy appearance and it reduces the headlight visibility at night. Plus it just looks bad on what is otherwise a gorgeous machine.

Does anyone have any advice on how to open them without damaging them? I need to get into the inside of the headlight covers so I can clean out the moisture and make them look sparkling new again.

Thanks in advance!

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 AM

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM

You could try drilling a small hole somewhere unnoticable to act as a vent. Make sure it is in a spot near the bottom and off to the side to prevent more water getting in. Then use a hair dryer on the lense to help remove the condensation inside. You could also try to squirt some WD40 inside the housing to aid in preventing moisture.

-Scott

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraftkiller View Post
I've got a 2001 and I'm going to be giving her a cleanup this Saturday, but one problem that's bugged the hell out of me for the past few months is the headlight assemblies. They're both sealed but some residual moisture inside them is creating a foggy appearance and it reduces the headlight visibility at night. Plus it just looks bad on what is otherwise a gorgeous machine.

Does anyone have any advice on how to open them without damaging them? I need to get into the inside of the headlight covers so I can clean out the moisture and make them look sparkling new again.

Thanks in advance!

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 Caprice 396 View Post
You could try drilling a small hole somewhere unnoticable to act as a vent. Make sure it is in a spot near the bottom and off to the side to prevent more water getting in. Then use a hair dryer on the lense to help remove the condensation inside. You could also try to squirt some WD40 inside the housing to aid in preventing moisture.

-Scott
Cool! Good thing i have here a WD40 but the problem is i dont have a hair dryer.lol i will just document the procedure for future reference. it is just simple from your instructions anyways. i hope i wont break any parts when removing it. lol

Last edited by hallpearl; 04-15-2011 at 11:29 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 PM
BA.

Hey there, welcome to the site.

Just to clarify, as I had hazed headlights at one time too on my daily driver,....the problem of condensation/moisture on the inside is different than the hazed over look on a lot of these new plastic headlight covers. (usually yellow-ish in appearance)

For a few years, I only had the hasing/yellowing problem, and I used the product "Nexus" to bring them back to 'like new' really easily. I used one of those car waxing orbital buffers to apply their product, then just wipe off as it dries.
It's amazing how well it works. In these later years, I now actually have condensation inside too - so, maybe time for me to get new ones....

I recall seeing a Meguiars product does the same thing which should be at any good auto parts store.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM

I had an 03' with the same problem, first I had to find the where the moisture was getting in; it was around the factory seal. I touched it with some hi-temp flexable silicone made by DOW.
It was all good after the lights dried the assembly out. If you stop the moisture,you'll stop any other problem downstream.
Check also the seal around the bulb socket on the back of the light assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page