Anyone know tow rating of a 67' Impala/Biscayne - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know tow rating of a 67' Impala/Biscayne

I've been looking around and haven't been able to find a "rating" on my car for towing. I know there are alot of variables, but lets say with the 283/3-spd combo (I have a 307 but the power difference can't be that drastic for this). I'm thinking down the road I might add a hitch and use this to haul around a first gen Camaro if it will do it. The car will have more power when I get around to this but trying to get some opinions. I'm gonna keep the 8.2 rear but update the axles/gears etc in it, and throw some rear bags in the springs to help with loading if I di this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 AM

It wasn't rated because it had no hitch. You could order a towing package from the factory. The towing package came with a frame mounted bolt in Reese hitch, trailer lights connector, an oil cooler, and an external heavy duty auxiliary transmission cooler, heavy duty shocks, and bigger brake drums in the back (11" instead of the stock 9" just like the station wagon because it used the wagon's rear springs as well) with a 3.55 rear gear in the differential. The car was then rated to tow a 5,000 pound trailer. You can add all of these things to build yourself a factory towing package.

The big B-body cars often used parts off of the lightest duty pick-up truck line (C-10's) to make the car heavy duty. Things like shocks and front spindles are interchangeable across the years and the truck (designed to carry the weight rather than pull it on a trailer) had bigger wheel bearings and brakes to accommodate it. Unfortunately the early trucks used a six lug wheel instead of five, but they can be redrilled to a different pattern if you wanted to adapt them to fit your car.

Remember it was corporate policy at GM to make as few parts as possible so parts off the truck line, B-body and Y-body (Corvette) often interchange (with the Chevelle, Camaro, and Nova also sharing many common parts).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Cool thanks for the info. I think my car already has the 11" brakes as they filled the entire 14in wheels that came on it when I bought it. I'm thinking of running Global West springs all around and airbags inside the springs in the rear. I just need to get a hitch now lol. I'm thinking the car shouldn't have much of a problem hauling around the F-body on a light trailer with trailer brakes. I'd love to be able to tow it on the Hot Rod tour once both vehicles are complete. I'm pretty sure my car has 3.08's in right now, wondering if these would work with the 3-spd with a little more power.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Even without more power it will still work (it's an American V-8), you just won't be able to pass any of the foreign cars as easily.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

LOL, well when it goes on the tour it will be cruising, plus have a little more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page