66 impala frame mounts - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to 73donkryder
66 impala frame mounts

I took the 350/350 out of my 73 impala and was gonna put it in my 66 impala that was 283 , after buying the motor mounts for the 66 that mount to the block, i noticed that my frame mounts are nowhere to be found and i havent been able to find any that will bolt on the frame. Im trying to avoid welding the 73 mounts to the frame. Help me please

Last edited by 73donkryder; 07-09-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Let me see what I can find here
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 AM

Wow, I can't find them anywhere, not even on ebay. I emailed a guy here local for you who is parting out a 69, they should work for you if he has them. Would you like them if he does? You also might be able to buy later model frame mounts and bolt them in and get them to work, but it would take alot of research/measuring to get the height and everything right. I haven't done it to this body style yet but I did on a 69' Pontiac Tempest and an 87' Camaro when I swapped an LS1/T56 into it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 6impala6
Where are you located? I'm going to meet with this guy that is parting out a 66, I'm buying several parts for mine.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 PM

If you are still looking for some mounts, I have them available.

Bill
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 AM

1966 used a taller and wider frame stand than those used in 1969. In 1968 GM was sued and Chevrolet had the honor of having initated the first national recall of a product as all 1958 to 1968 cars were recalled and patched with a makeshift fix (a five ton cable and two brackets bolted to the motor and the frame).

Staring in 1969 and running through 1972 the factory used a different frame stand (which should match your motor mounts you bought as 9 out of 10 parts guys don't know there is any difference in the parts over the years) designed to accomodate a thicker interlocking motor mount (so it has a shorter stand) and a narrower (to keep you from using the 1958-68 part).

The dimensions are here on Energy Suspensions motor mount page.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mt_tr1.html

Big Dave
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM

So is this the same issue that I'll run into if I drop my '88 350 into my '66? Good to know before I do this. Does any of this mount swapping affect the trans in any way or does the positioning of the tail housing remain in the same location and at the proper angle?

Thanks guys!
Vance
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:26 PM

2 different frame and engine mounts used, '65-'70
'65-early '67 all used the same mount, big or sm/blk.
'67-'70 they used 2 different frame mounts, 1 was the same as the earlier '65-'67 mount(taller/wider), the other was shorter and narrower. you just need to match the frame mount with the engine mount so they'll work together.
trans remains in the same position with either style mount.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Frame mounts

I happen to be looking through a Ground-Up restoration catalog and noticed these, I think they should work:

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv..._Code=ACE-9794

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM

95% of all automotive parts houses sell the 1969-'72 interlocking motor mount as a Chevy small block mount no mater what year you are installing it into provided it is older than a 1973 model year (when they switched over to the clamshell fully encapsulated motormount).

Big Dave
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 04:45 AM

So dave, what was the issue that they were sued for? Ripping motor mounts off or something? I have those cable things on my motor, running to the control arms. Wondered why they were there as I didn't think the 307 really needed a "limiter strap" lol
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
So dave, what was the issue that they were sued for? Ripping motor mounts off or something? I have those cable things on my motor, running to the control arms. Wondered why they were there as I didn't think the 307 really needed a "limiter strap" lol
That cable strap is very valuable. Much sought after on the Chevelle site. As horsepower numbers grew with increasing displacement the vulcanized rubber motor mounts designed in 1956 for the mighty 283 began to separate. Since the motor mounts were only glued together when they separated a 350 horse 327 would roll over to the right on hard acceleration pulling the fixed steel rod throttle wide open and jamming it so you couldn't pull it closed. People without the ability to think (drop car into neutral or kill the ignition) died in car wrecks.

Those who survived this evolutionary crisis sued GM. The cable you have is the fix GM came up with and was the first national product recall ever. The recall occurred in 1968 and involved all cars going back to 1958 (year the side mount motor mount was introduced). Few brought their cars in and even fewer cables survived, so anything that is rare is valuable to a car restorer. In 1969 GM introduced a thicker interlocking motor mount which required a shorter frame stand top bolt it in the car (they introduced a throttle cable to replace the steel throttle rod mid way through the 1969 production run). They changed the width of the motor mount to keep people from using the old style mounts (you have to pry the two tangs apart and when you do the bolt holes do not align so you have to drive a bolt in with a hammer which is what people did who didn't know that there were two different sized mounts. After 1972 all motor mounts went to the fully captured style still used today.

Big Dave
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
BA.

Interesting stuff.

Both of my Impala's have those cables to the A-arms on both the Left and Right sides.
Hmmm. since I just replaced the motor mounts on the Ebay car, maybe I should sell these things.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Interesting stuff.

Both of my Impala's have those cables to the A-arms on both the Left and Right sides.
Hmmm. since I just replaced the motor mounts on the Ebay car, maybe I should sell these things.
They are only of interest to restorers wanting a pre 1969 car to be period correct (since they were recalling just about every Chevy on the road except Corvairs, Corvette, and the tri-five and earlier cars that all had four corner bolted together motor mounts. You would also have to have the stock cast iron log manifold as it won't work with tube headers (not that a period correct restorer would be trying to pass off tube headers as factory correct no matter how many chalk marks were on them).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page