Leaking heater core? Mysteriously stained carpet. - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Leaking heater core? Mysteriously stained carpet.

Take a look at this picture and let me know what do you think it is causing the discoloration of the carpet?

carpet

Looks like a heater core leak but there is no coolant smell and back padding is not discolored like the carpet. Plus if there was a heater core, I think the carpet would be stained all the way to the top and the heaviest stain is near the silver plate. I thought it is due to the rust on the floor pan but no, floor pan is clean and rust free. There is also no visible coolant leak under the car.

Here is a picture taken few months back. Looking at the before and after, it is obvious that there is something going on.

carpet before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM

looks like a rust stain ether from the floor or from leak around the door.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM

try running water over the cowl vent. Looks like your side vent may be leaking where it bolts to the body.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Do you have well water? If so do you wash your car with the tap water? I've seen that happen to bath tubs and sinks from the heavy iron content in well water. The cowl vent leaking seems to be a good guess. The carpeting has a wax like backing so if water got on top it might not leak into the padding.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

To be honest I have only washed the car once myself and once at the car wash. It is mostly rain that could get into the body and inside. So it is definitely not iron content but most likely rust. Strange part is that the most affected area is at the top of the carpet near the silver cover with "Body by Fisher" emblem. I just replaced front door weatherstripping so next I have to check the windshield as it is leaking. Will have to check the vent as well. Thanks for suggestions.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Another update after I got the carpet out. The stain was definitely due to rain leaking thru the windshield and staining the carpet with rust. I pulled the carpet and washed it. There were no traces of coolant and since I sealed the windshield, I haven't noticed anymore stains. Floor was surprisingly clean (no rust) but I covered it with rust proofing paint anyway. And I have shed about 20lbs of weight after I have removed the soaked carpet underlining, dried everything and replaced it with new one.

Now, I just have to dye the carpet back to the original color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page