Where should I look for a build sheet? - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Where should I look for a build sheet?

Hello,

I am looking at a possible purchase of a '69 Caprice and was wondering if there is an obvious place where I might be able to find a build sheet. The drivers door panel was checked by the current owner, but that's it. According to the trim tag the car was built in Tonawanda.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Everyone always said inside the back seat upper cushion and I recently heard inside the front seat upper cushion(s). I'd check them all just to sure.

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
And on my own website ~ http://www.violentlee.com/biscayne.html
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 PM

The build sheet is a set of instructions to the line workers telling them what options each car was to have installed in it. GM policy was that a build sheet is trash, and was to be disposed of as such. Human nature (protected by union rules) being what it is says that some workers didn't follow the rules and stashed the trash were QC inspectors and line supervisors didn't see them. If your car was heavily optioned you could find several build sheets in it in or around your optional equipment such as a console, or AM/FM Stereo radio, or deluxe interior instead of the usual cloth seats.

Build sheets have been found under the dash in the wiring with radios or stereo tape players, above the glove box if you got custom interior lighting, under seats for deluxe interiors, or perhaps inside a door panel or both as different workers with a copy of the build sheet working at different stations installed parts at different times. They have been found under the trunk above the gas tank if you got a larger tank than normal, between the inner fender and the cowl if there were special trim parts (such as the fender louvers for a Nova SS). They have been found above the headliner if you got a map reading light with your dome light (common in cop cars). Every RPO number could generate a build sheet.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

thank you both for the input........if I buy the car i will look through it good.....found 2 in a prev car (1969 chrysler) so i know sometimes you just need to know where to look. This car has a 350/300 hp engine and a 4-spd with console that owners says is all original...if it is, it's 1 rare care as i have never seen a console in a 4-spd '69 caprice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page