Speaker size - 1966 front/back - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Speaker size - 1966 front/back

Does anyone know what size speaker they used in middle of the rear seat?

I have it out but honestly don't know where to measure, just the cone diameter, outside the excursion foam surround or bolt hole to bolt hole.

And on the front, what would you guys recommmend fitting up there? Will 2 round 4" speakers work?

Crutchfield doesn't have data for the car.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Measure from edge to edge. The rear center speaker should be a 6" and the front is a 4" X 10".

Impala Bob and some other places sell a nice dual set to replace the front 4 X 10 slimline speaker.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM

I took my factory speaker out of the front and cut the insides out (leaving just the frame) and I mounted 2 3.5" speakers that I had in the frame and then bolted it back up in the dash. Works great! As for the rear seat speaker, I don't know, I have 2 6x9's in the rear shelf bolted from underneath.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
BA.

How about 5 1/2" edge to edge?? just outside the foam/excursion lip thing.
I had 6 1/4" from bolt hole to bolt hole.

I'll check out that Impala Bob setup too, thanks!

I'm looking forward to hearing some decent sounds - this 43 year old speaker probably lucky to be alive.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM

Allan,
If you are going with an original type radio you cant beat these speakers. They are made to fit, compatable with the radio, good quality, and reasonable cost. If you are trying to wake up the neighborhood then you can go with aftermarket!

www.turnswitch.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 PM

I'm planning on going with MB Quart Discus series 3.5" speakers up front and 6x9's in the rear with an MB Quart 10" sub mounted against the back seat. Right now with just the 3.5's and 6x9's I get crystal clear sound and decent lows out of those rear 6x9's. Using the 3.5's in the stock frame will be cheaper than a replacement 4x10" and I had one from classic autosound and HATED the sound. It was the dual voice coil version and I used it in my 67' K10, HORRIBLE, no bass frequency what so ever and the highs lacked as well. Just my opinion
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I got 4x10 from Parts Express. They were only about $30 (Pyle) and the sound is very good. I think the best 4x10s you can get from Pioneer but you will have to spend about $110. I have the Pyle's in home made center console but if I could put them in a bigger box, the bass would probably be a lot better. Still no complaints as they beat the mono center speaker any time :-)

I have the frame that would go underneath the dashboard that will fit two 3.5" speakers. Let me know if you want it as I have no use for it since I built my console. Keep in mind that whatever fits underneath the dashboard in the center, will not sound right if it does not have a box. Sound will leak to you from underneath. That pretty much kills all low frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page