Alternator mounting with headers - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Alternator mounting with headers

I'd be real interested to see anyone's pictures of how they mounted their alternators on a small-block after going to headers. (drivers side)

The plethora of brackets has always been confusing and doubly-so when you look at stock and aftermarket parts.

So, I picked up these two parts as starters and hoped to be able to re-use my top side bracket.

By the way, that picture is upside-down.

These brackets mount the alternator a little farther outward and don't allow the alternator to pivot back towards the engine much at all. (bracket bolt heads get in the way)

Also, it looks like my upper bracket won't be able to be re-used.

So, how are you guys doing it?

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM

You use a piece of black steel thick wall 1/2" steam pipe sawn to the correct length to correct for the missing cast iron manifolds and reuse all the stock parts. You will need to find a pipe fitter to cut you the pieces you need from scrap and the usual payment is a six pack of cold beer. They are most susceptible to this offer at about 11:30 in the morning (assumes a noon lunch break timed to the arrival of the roach coach).

Were I lived in Tampa we have lots of ship repair facilities so finding a pair of spacers was easy. Check the yellow pages for a union hall near you that can direct you to a worksite and give you the name of the foreman to authorize it.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 PM

First of all the bracket you display is a cheap version of what Hedman offers ( or Hooker for that matter ). I used basically what you have here and it works fine.

My parts however are from Hedman..............I looked at both the ones you have and the ones I purchased

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
BA.

So Dave, how about whipping up one of your awesome Paint drawings. I'm not understanding how your pipe would then bolt to the head. I like where you're going though with the re-using of stock parts!

Joe, what did you use for a top mount, and do you have bolt holes in your head? I do not....

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
So Dave, how about whipping up one of your awesome Paint drawings. I'm not understanding how your pipe would then bolt to the head. I like where you're going though with the re-using of stock parts!

Joe, what did you use for a top mount, and do you have bolt holes in your head? I do not....
No , I have the original 283 triangle on the rectangle castings. No access. holes. Just play around with diff. bolts , washers and slide the bracket ( and alt ) fore and aft to align with pulleys. If you have limited your adjustment because of bolts hitting the case then get creative and modify either the bracket or the bolts. If you have to go to a shorter belt then so be it.

I f need be I can PM you pics of my setup.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 PM

This is were my playing with only big blocks for the past forty years gets in the way. Generators bolted to a casting horn on the cast iron exhaust manifold that are not there with a tube style header designed to fit a car running an alternator (with their being lighter and more compact not to mention more powerful did not need the added casting to hold in place). So you have to rely upon a stamped mild steel piece to adapt it. Usually the stamped mild steel piece is weak and of poor quality so it deforms under the stress of holding the generator in alignment (causing belts to slip or get thrown at higher RPM).

The steam pipe spacers I was talking about work fine on a big block to space out the alternator bracketry to use headers in place of a cast iron manifold, but then again a BBC never had a generator attached to it. I do recall the problem I had with my early small blocks and W motors that were equipped with generators and mechanical voltage regulators. I welded 1/4 inch steel sheet together to form a bracket that did use two pieces of pipe for a spacer to hold my generator in place but that part is long gone along with my collection of 'W' motors I had back in the mid sixties.

Here is your quick sketch of a weldment to meet your needs. Take dimensions from your cast iron manifold and scale accordingly.

I was welding with a gas torch and a coat hanger back in the good old days before I ever got a stick welder. It will requires some fine fitting and tacking to get the gusset plates together with anything shy of a TIG welder today.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page