Should I? - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

View Poll Results: Should I buy the TPI setup
Yes 2 33.33%
No 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Should I?

I'm thinking of adding EFI to my 67' down the road and just ran across a complete TPI setup with distributor, computer, stand alone harness, etc for $300! I wasn't planning on picking anything up yet but now I'm thinking of picking this up. What do you guys think? I'm not planning on making crazy power number with this car (yet lol) but a nice EFI setup would be nice. My 2bbl small block runs great now and just redid the carb, but could probably sell the stuff off and recoup some money. Opinions please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 PM

The intake lower will have the mounting holes at the wrong angle for your heads.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

No it won't, it's off an 85. The 85-86' Versions will work on all pre-86 heads and 87+ are for the newer heads (which you can hollow out the holes to use if you must).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Cool. You don't see many of the early ones. Is it SD or MAF?

Don't know how much you would make on the 2bbl setup, but FI is always nice...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Ya I planned on EFI down the road because I don't need to get my car running as it runs good, but the price is just killer. The 85' setup is originally a MAF setup but he converted it to SD and the wiring harness and computer are setup for SD. I know MAF's better for modifications but the SD setup will work great on a basically stock engine and I can get a chip burned later. Plus I can just slap one of those cool filters right on the throttle body

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 PM
BA.

.....just redid the carb eh? I dunno man. I know it's a great price and all,....and might increase fuel economy a little, give a little more torque,.... but all in all I think I'd wait to pick up the newer aftermarket EFI. That's just me though. I certainly wouldn't blame ya for getting it if you have the money and time. (don't forget fuel pump, wiring and return line)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Ya I've done the swaps before (LSx, TPI, etc). I'd get a Tanks Inc in-tank pump setup, use the stock fuel line for my return and run a new 3/8 line to the front. Ya I just rebuilt the carb but figured I could sell the HEI, carb, manifold, air cleaner etc that I have now and recoup some money. I planned on a TPI setup to help increase torque when I did go EFI. I don't plan on spinning this motor over 5K ever really, it's more of a DD.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 PM

Since 4 out of 5 of these old TPI units were built for a 305 you will need bigger injectors for a 350 motor (only the Corvette had the TPI 350 initially). They are also built with long intake runners to build bottom end torque but they are also too small to build any real power with a 350 at higher RPM. Most people who install them for the looks; remove them for more performance (Of course there are larger intake base manifolds and cast tubes with bigger ID's for more flow and of course a larger throttle body; but buy the time you buy all the parts you are approaching the price of a junk yard LT-1 SD EFI (which will require Vortec style heads).

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

It's going on a 307, but it is off a 350 TPI 85' Corvette, converted to speed density. The Camaro got the 350 in 87' for a full run, 86' saw a handful of test cars built but are rare. You can get the runners/base for under $500 and port the plenum yourself if you really want to get crazy or just get a Holley Stealth Ram. I'm not looking for any high top end power out of the setup. I'm looking for low speed torque for the street. I've owned a TPI car before and have to say for spirited around town driving, it's a fun little setup. I've seen a 383 build using TPIS big mouth runners and an extrude honed base/plenum, ported L98 aluminum heads belt out over 400hp. Here's the article

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...t_results.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page