140 speedo/tach and guages??? - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Throck
140 speedo/tach and guages???

Hey guys,
I was trolling criagslist looking for disc brake suff and found this. When I had my tach/guage cluster redone by a restorer, he assured me that he had never seen a 140 MPH speedo and tach setup. I had never seen one before I saw this. Looks like it was a 396 car from the redline too. What a shame!

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/1352327888.html

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throck View Post
Hey guys,
I was trolling criagslist looking for disc brake suff and found this. When I had my tach/guage cluster redone by a restorer, he assured me that he had never seen a 140 MPH speedo and tach setup. I had never seen one before I saw this. Looks like it was a 396 car from the redline too. What a shame!

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/1352327888.html

Scott
GM cop cars had 140 Speedo's some even came with a 160 (I drove a 440 six-pack Coronet that was unreal for two years. Scared me how fast it would run down the street. It never burried the 160 speedo but I had it up near 150 once at about 4:30 AM running as a back-up for another officer hollering for help).

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM

didn't most of those say *certified calibration* on the spedo glass?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM

All are silk screened on the speedo with the words Certified Calibration (Accurate to +/- 2.5% of the value provided) if it is adjusted to tire diameter every six months. But a little black paint will cover that blemish up. The move to a lower reading speedo was dictated by the insurance companies to keep inexperienced drivers from attempting to see how fast mom's car can actually go (though during the smog years it was all that a full size Caprice could do to hit eighty). If you think about it, a lower registering speedo is easier to read and more accurate in the 0-70 mph range we should be driving in as well. That is why I buy an 8,000 RPM tach instead of a 10,000 grand tach as it is easier to read. I am not trying to impress anybody.

However, I was in the pits in Sebring in 1966 and I was talking to a friend of mine about a 16,000 RPM tach in a Ferrari car we were looking at. I was commenting to my friend on the fact that no motor could spin up that high without blowing apart. Some old guy took umbrage at my casting dispersions on the tach being a piece of bling to impress people and not only cranked up the shinny new factory experimental for me, but held it on the mat for 30 seconds were the motor spun to 14,600 RPM and the needle didn't even flicker from that value.

Turns out Mr. Enzo Ferrari is easily offended and doesn't mind putting his money where his pride is concerned, as he was the one who helped with my education that hot afternoon. But I am sure we have all heard misinformation being shared at car shows. just wonder how many feel compelled to correct it.

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Nicely optioned convert but trashed. Speedo must have been installed later unless some police dept needed a conv't fleet car.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Throck
I have seen lots of 140s from cop cars - all of which were in the standard dash configuration, but I have not seen one in the factory tach and guage cluster. I am thinking with the proximety of this car to Detroit it may have been a company exec car with that unique dash and all those options...

Very cool story about Mr. Ferrari. that must have been something!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Wow that's a cool car, too bad it's so ratty.. I have seen the gauged version of this dash, but the one I saw had a delete plate where the tachometer is, as well as a clock deletion plate. There must have been several configurations for this, although I don't think the police brochures have any mention of multiple variations. It's certaily possible the speedo is original if the car was a copo. I'd love to know what the assy date of the dash is in relation to the car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page