Rear bushing replacement kits - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Question Rear bushing replacement kits

Getting ready to replace all the bushings in the rear suspension of our 66 impala. Does anyone have any advise on which companies (classicindustries, yearone,impalabob's, etc) have the best kit. Or which ones to avoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 AM

All offer a quality product. Polyurethane is a pretty standard product, where you start to seperate from the herd is with DelAlum bushings (Aluminum core with a Nylon plastic coating which do not offer much in the way of compression so are quite stiff) and steel bearings used in racing (roundy round mostly) which offer no give what so ever. Biggest complaint I have heard is from squeaks. which can be fixed by your adding a grease fitting to the bushing so that it can be greased with the chassis every 3,000 miles.

You will have to bore (and tap the inlet) some holes in the bushing and carve some grooves for the grease to follow to lube the shell and the plastic. This can be done with a hand drill and a dremel tool and a little work on your part. I have plastic bushings but have never heard them squeak as the engine covers up any other small noises the car might make. (it's not so loud inside the car that I can not listen to the radio, or hear someone talking so any squeaks are not all that loud)

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Talking bushings

Thanks for the info. It's a daily driver so I'll go with the standard stuff.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM

hey

Mines a daily driver too and its cheaper to go with polyurethane than rubber.

Custom Coupe, 396, 700R4, 3.73 posi.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 AM

I got polyurethane bushings in my 71 the best thing I ever invested in they was Energy Suspension bushing kit.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I got front bushings and other parts from RockAuto. I have chosen their "premium" grade over the "service" grade. After all the parts were replaced (incl. tie rods, ball joints, etc) the car handles like a charm. Plus the price was 50% of what Napa would charge me for the same stuff.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Question bushing replacement

Thanks, do I need to get a "control arm puller" for the bushings. I have a service manual for the car and it calls out using this special tool to R/R the bushings.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 PM

I used a balljoint press tool to press the new ones in the upper rear end pumpkin the trailing arms the bushings was just drill out and clean up the cup sleeve grease up and press the new urethane bushing in. Note it is best to freeze your upper pumpkin bushings over night and pull the out just before installation and grease the ring where it slides in. I had a hell of a time trying to put one in and a friend told me to freeze the other one he was right.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:45 PM
BA.

yup, freezing parts and ensuring the arms are room temp or better is a huge help!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.baker View Post
Thanks, do I need to get a "control arm puller" for the bushings. I have a service manual for the car and it calls out using this special tool to R/R the bushings.
Here is a video that shows how to remove the bushings:

I tried this method myself and it worked pretty well; I changed four lower trailing arm bushings in under an hour. The new bushings I installed at room temperature using a hammer and length of steel pipe for a driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page