Firewall insulation - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Firewall insulation

Hello all,, not sure were to post this so I'll start here. Every time is rains, I get a puddle of water on the front floor pans of my 69 Coupe.I have pulled out all the carpet(after sitting for years with water coming in, it was toast) I think there's a hole on the firewall up by were the Cowl is. Havent confirmed yet. Got under there yesterday to look, but couldn't see anything. I need to remove the firewall insulation and replace with new, but the heater core box and stuff is all in the way. So the questions are:

1. How difficult is it to take out the heater core and duct work so I can view for leaks?
2. Any other common areas I should be on the lookout for that would cause water to get into and settle on the floor pans.
3. I took out the carpet and seats to wire brush and seal the tiny hole that is in the floor pan. Considering using a product that I seen called "KBS Coatings." Any one used it before?
4. Any preferences on were to get new carpet and sound deadener as well as replacement firewall insulation?

Have a 69 Impala Coupe 2Dr with A/C

As alwasys guys, thanks for your help.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM

I don't know if your 69 has it but under the windshield there should be a grill to catch leaves under that is a gutter. I know my 71 has this gutter and mine is leaking has some rust holes. It is just under the dash up behind the wiring. You can take a water hose and run it over the windshield and get in with a flash light and look to see where the water is coming in at. If your heater box is and A/C case is leaking there is some stuff called A/C installation tape it is like a tar tape to put between the A/C case and fire wall. The heater should be behind the glove box. As for the carpet Summit Racing is where I got mine they had a choice in two piece front and back or one piece. Loop pile or cut pile your car should have loop.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM

I'm betting bad seam sealer on the firewall/windshield area.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 PM

There are a number of holes in the fire wall. The A/C box will be the largest opening and as such have the greatest circumference for a potential leak. But just because it is the largest, do not get tunnel vision check the leak source with some one holding a hose outside the car to find the true source.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

FireWall insulation

**update** Well I took Big Daves advice and looked "outside the box." I started on the drivers side. I was under the dash as my wife dumped water into the Cowl. No leaks... I then had her put the hose on the roof and found that it was leaking from the seam between the vinyl top and window. I thought great..no need to tear off the insulation and then I thought I better check the other side. Well as my wife turned the hose to the passenger side, water started coming in were the side vent hole is. I took off the cover and seen residual water at that location. Know I am puzzled. What can be making water come through there?

Any ideas would be much helpful.

Also, will the fender/fender well need to come off to fix this problem?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Just checking in to see if anyone had any ideas as to way water was coming in were the vent was on the passenger side. I havent taken the fender off yet.

thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM

1969 was a year after the introduction of Astro Ventilation (no vent windows but the cowl vents still exist in the chassis that used to be opened with a cable operated flapper door. Behind that solid plastic kick panel is a hole that leads to the cowl for fresh air. It may now be leaking.

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey Big Dave,
I was looking at it last night( I admit is was dark) and I didnt see how it opens. Not sure if I told you but the car has AC. Does that make a difference? Should I just unscrew the bolts holding the inner part. It also has some silver diaphram looking thing on it. What's that for?

Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 PM

In a 1967 there was a grill in the passenger kick panel that had a cable and knob. You pulled or pushed the knob to open or close a flapper door that brought over the hood air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield down to blow on your feet. In 1968-70 they left the hole in the body, but covered it up in that area with a solid plastic kick panel without any opening and got rid of the vent window for ascetic reasons (it looked cleaner).

They called the new for 1968 look Astro Ventilation because the fan was always on low whenever the ignition was on circulating air in the cabin and bringing in outside cowl air by way of the heater box. Just like on an air plane that brought in 40 below zero fresh air at half an atmosphere pressure and boosted the cabin pressue by way of a super charger on the engine to nearly atmospheric pressure to stress the planes aluminum skin keep the plane from breaking in half. Personally I much prefer a vent window and a foot well vent or recirculating A/C if driving my daily driver to Astro Ventilation.

Big Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969impalaDave View Post
Hey Big Dave,
I was looking at it last night( I admit is was dark) and I didnt see how it opens. Not sure if I told you but the car has AC. Does that make a difference? Should I just unscrew the bolts holding the inner part. It also has some silver diaphram looking thing on it. What's that for?

Thanks
If your car has AC then there won't be the knob on the kick panel for the vents. An AC car has the drivers side cowl hole blocked with a plate. The passenger side still has a vent for 'recirculation' function that is controlled by a vacuum diaphram which is probably what you are seeing. How does the inner structure look around the vent area? I know my 68 was rotted a bit on this area.

-Scott
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Hey Scott, yes my car does have AC. There seemes to be a rubber boot that fits inside the hole. When you look up inside the boot, you will see the vaccum diaphram which you mentioned. It is on a hinged door and it will go up if you push up on it. I found some nice homes built on the up side of that hinged door by some little animals that occupied the car some time ago. Cant for the life of me figure out how to get that boot assembly out and two, how did they(little animals) get up there. There is minimal rust between the boot and metal. I havent been able to look underneath the boot because of not knowing how to get it out. I have noticed that when I pour water down the cowl, water will come in on the bottom side of the hole between the boot and metal. Not sure if it's because the boot in not properly sealed between the metal and rubber.

Is there a way to get that boot assembly out of that vent hole? If so, how? I am also willing to upload photos, but I need to figure out how to get them on here.

Thanks
Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM

Hmm, the 69-70 models must have a little different set up as my 68 has the diaphram inside the car and no ruber boot like you mentioned. I know there is a guy here named "drabina" who has a '70 wagon that had a similar water leak problem so maybe you can track down the topic here in a search about how he dealt with it. I hate to think you'd have to pull the pass fender off to get at that issue. There's minimal space between the fender and the cowl in that side area unfortunately.

If you want to upload photos there is a button below the message area that says "manage attachments" you want to click. That will take you to a window that allows you to upload photos from your computer. Click on "browse", select your photo, click Open, then click "upload" in the attachment window. Once you're finished you can preview your message and you'll see the thumbnail of your photo that will be included in your message.

-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page