Wiper motor replace - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Wiper motor replace

It's time to replace the non-functioning two speed wiper motor on this '64 Impala.
Naturally, I know that it can't be as simple as disconnecting the washer hoses, unplugging the electrical connection removing the three bolts that mount it and then simply replacing the motor.
I can't seem to find any detailed instructions. My assembly manual isn't helpful and I haven't found anything on-line either. ...only one Utube that is not at all helpful.
Has anyone who has performed this?
I would appreciate the help.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 AM

Yes it that simple. All of GM's wiper motors use the same wiper motor mount that is interchangeable. Linkage is the difference between the car models. So you can install a modern pulse wiper motor, but without the computer control circuitry to make it a pulse wiper it won't even be a two sped motor. The newer motors are stepper motors (uses the same segmented magnetic wheel to let the computer know the rotational angle of the armature).

Earlier non-computer controlled wiper motors used voltage to control rotational speed and a cam to park the motor when power was turned off. The wiper speed was controlled by switching between circuits (two to three speeds depending upon the resister value of the two or three isolated and complete circuits). Computer control had only one circuit (set of wires) with voltage to the motor which determines the speed of rotation controlled by the computer.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Yes it that simple. All of GM's wiper motors use the same wiper motor mount that is interchangeable. Linkage is the difference between the car models. So you can install a modern pulse wiper motor, but without the computer control circuitry to make it a pulse wiper it won't even be a two sped motor. The newer motors are stepper motors (uses the same segmented magnetic wheel to let the computer know the rotational angle of the armature).

Earlier non-computer controlled wiper motors used voltage to control rotational speed and a cam to park the motor when power was turned off. The wiper speed was controlled by switching between circuits (two to three speeds depending upon the resister value of the two or three isolated and complete circuits). Computer control had only one circuit (set of wires) with voltage to the motor which determines the speed of rotation controlled by the computer.

Big Dave
Thanks Big Dave.
I'm going to keep it as original as possible so I will use either a new or re-maned motor. I kept running across phrases about removing an air plenum to detach and reattach the clip to the wiper transmission drive arm. I guess that my question/concern is how much disassembly is required to do this beyond simply removing the three bolts that hold the wiper motor. ...and am I going to be able to unattach and reattach it to the drive arm without taking anything else apart?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:53 PM

The air plenum is where your cabin air vent is collected at the base of the windshield. There are six or more small sheet metal screws that hold on the grill (you have to pop off the windshield wiper arms also). That allows you access to the two screws that hold the socket together that grips the ball on the end of the windshield wiper motor drive arm.

Most mechanics force a quarter inch drive ratchet down through the holes to just loosen the two screws as they want more money than the flat rate allows to change a wiper motor. Forcing the socket into the grill scratches the paint and the grill gets bent even further when they stuff a magnet through the grill to retrieve the socket that falls off trying to get the socket back out. Don't be like those guys and just take the grill off.

On page 633 of my 1963 Motor's Auto Repair Manual (you can probably find one in the reference section of your local library) It lists the procedure in order of disassembly and reassembly. It notes marking the hoses if you have the windshield washer option as to where they come from as it makes a difference. Your exploded view picture in the assembly manual is also helpful and lists the torque value of the screws.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The air plenum is where your cabin air vent is collected at the base of the windshield. There are six or more small sheet metal screws that hold on the grill (you have to pop off the windshield wiper arms also). That allows you access to the two screws that hold the socket together that grips the ball on the end of the windshield wiper motor drive arm.

Most mechanics force a quarter inch drive ratchet down through the holes to just loosen the two screws as they want more money than the flat rate allows to change a wiper motor. Forcing the socket into the grill scratches the paint and the grill gets bent even further when they stuff a magnet through the grill to retrieve the socket that falls off trying to get the socket back out. Don't be like those guys and just take the grill off.

On page 633 of my 1963 Motor's Auto Repair Manual (you can probably find one in the reference section of your local library) It lists the procedure in order of disassembly and reassembly. It notes marking the hoses if you have the windshield washer option as to where they come from as it makes a difference. Your exploded view picture in the assembly manual is also helpful and lists the torque value of the screws.

Big Dave
Got it. Thanks Big Dave. I'll attempt it the way it is SUPPOSED to be done.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:18 PM

Dave,
what year of Chevrolet wiper motor will fit a 1966 Belair. I’d be willing to test the wiper motor but I don’t know which to make hot and which one to make ground and I don’t want to burn it up for what I have now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page