Going to look at 60-61 Impala - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Going to look at 60-61 Impala

Good morning all. I'm going to look at a 60 or 61 Impala on Thursday after work. Just wondering what I should be looking for on these cars as far as problem area's? My father use to own a 64 Impala so I know my way around them somewhat. This vehicle is owned by my wife's, cousin's, husband's father, so somewhat of a family member. The car is supposed to be in good shape and he already bought something else to replace this Impala.

Thanks for the help,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:09 AM

These cars were designed by GM to last seven years. To find one in a driveable condition today is an aberration of what GM anticipated.

They rust because the only rust prevention was a thin elctrocoat of black oxide on the sheet metal to keep it from rusting while sitting in the warehouse. Some cars were under coated by the dealer but only if the customer was willing to fork over $350 dollars in todays money to protect the frame from rusting.

All of those rubber bushings that offered Chevy's famous "Jet Smooth" ride have by now turned to gum holding a pile of dust. Replacements offered today are not as hard and will last only a fraction of the time the original Firestone bushings did. So your jet smooth ride (In an age before global warming) becomes a marshmallow ride if you choose the replacement rubber. By the way every GM vehicle used the Firestone bushings but only Chevy advertised it as a selling point.

You also have to be very cautious about replacement parts. The central carrier bearing is frequently replaced with an Indian or Pakistani made part that is inferior and fails within a few hundred miles of use. Your local discounted auto parts store will give you another defective part (as frequently as you want to perform this operation), but won't refund the labor it will cost you. You have to buy an much more expensive American made Moog part used in pick-ups and light trucks to properly repair it. Same goes for front end suspension parts, Brake parts and just about anything you buy from over seas. It is cheap to buy for a reason.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave. I'll make sure to look it over good and get some good pictures as well. I think the car owner has a lift so we should be able to check out the under side of the car easily.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

So I got a chance to go look at the 60 Impala last night. It is an original V8 2-door Impala bubble top car. This car now has a built 454 big block with a 4-speed trans. It is tubbed and is in primer. The jams along with the engine bay have already been painted a nice looking dark blue. The interior was pretty original and redone in all black with black leather seats. The car had a pro street theme going and thats really not what I'm looking for. If anyone is interested let me know.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page