How to identify a 1963 Impala 409 body - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

How to identify a 1963 Impala 409 body

A friend is looking at a 63 Impala, not SS, hardtop that the owner says was a 409 car.
The engine is long gone and owner says it was a 3 speed car.
How can we tell if it truly was a 409 car ?
Would a bench seat, non SS Impala, 3 speed be of any collector interest ?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
I'm not sure of the best place to find the answer to the '409' part - but i am QUITE sure you'll get an answer on here shortly.

As for it's collector interest: Yes! ANY '63 Chevy is going to have collector interest.. and is a worthy cause if you don't pay an arm and a leg for it. Reasearch it's worth in it's current condition - and make a wise buy. IF you're asking however, 'is it worth putting GOBS of money into, and then making a profit somewhere down the road' .. well, then I'd suggest maybe not. Many (if not most of us) have WAY more into our 4-wheeled love affairs than we'll ever get back: but that's not the nature of the hobby.

I love my 4-door plain jane Impala just for being a cool survivor. That Coupe you're lookin' at sounds nice, too. Keep us informed! ~Mitch.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I can't answer your question but here is website with good info:

http://www.348-409.com

Edit:

Here is page on this website that lists ways to identify 409 equipped car:

http://www.348-409.com/348409identify.html

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM
BA.

would they really put the 3 spd behind a 409? I didn't think it would be rated for even the lowest 409 motor.

Have to concur with the 348-409.com link above. Good place to ask.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM

The seller will be doubling the asking price and will have documentation to prove his claim. The documentation have all of the paperwork associated with the sale of the car from the time it was first sold by the factory (bill of sale window sticker warranty card) a list of owners sworn and bonded by Lloyds of London attesting you will not be scammed and a recommendation from your church pastor saying it is ok to trust him.

Other than that you can clone your own as there is nothing on the planet except documentation to prove otherwise. Besides the money you save in not buying the documented version allows you to buy all new Edelbrock heads, water pump made of aluminum, and either an aluminum three two barrel or a two four intake and cast aluminum valve covers if you have to have the old school ribbed look. A modern roller hydraulic cam and a 454 BBC crank turned down to the bearing size of the 409 will have you running close to 500 cubes, and make a truck load of extra power in the process. You can use a recycled old truck block or a buy a World’s Product brand new HD block casting that is stronger by far than the original cast iron block.

All the VIN will tell you is if it was a V-8 or not; not what size or type it it used to be.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Dave is right, but I do believe the front coil spring numbers ended in 408, they are a 7 didgit #, if in fact they are still there, and I believe a certain type of resistor on the fire wall and a larger radiator, best way is try and find an orig. at a show..good luck
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM

You can also tell by the Fuel Lines and simply, the Emblems on the side of the car, if original. My '63 SS parts car has 4 holes on the side of the fender, which made me think it might have been, but it doesn't seem like it was. Altho I have another '63 409 4-Speed parts car in rough shape (engine and trans long gone) but other than some conversation, it's really no big deal.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page