Rear steer is really starting to aggravate me. - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Rear steer is really starting to aggravate me.

Allow me to clarify. When the steering controls (Drag link, steering gear box, tie rod ends, etc.) are in front of the engine cross member, the car is a front steer car. When it's all behind the crossmember, it's a rear steer.

When pulling your drive train out of a front steer car, NO-THING fits into a rear steer car. Every time I turn around, I have something hitting the freakin' drag link, ...or gear box, or tie rod ends!!!!

It took me a while to bolt the engine in because I'm poor and needed a new oil pan to clear the drag link. I took the cheap way out and notched the oil pan to clear. Ok, the '67 has welded tabs to mount the trans cross member. Since a power glide is MUCH shorter than a Th400, I had to cut those off, move them back, and weld them into place for the new trans. I have a set of Hooker headers for the engine. The passenger side slid right in. The driver's side required some "clearancing" to get around the dang gear box. Then once I got the headers in, I checked clearance on the tie rods. ...........They hit when you turn the wheels more than 10 degrees. No way around it this time, I either build a set of headers, or buy a set. (Leaning toward buying, building headers is not my favorite job)

Did I mention I'm starting to HATE this rear steer set up in the Impala??

Newbies beware, your Chevelle stuff WILL NOT fit in your Impala.

.......this has been a public service announcement brought to you buy the Irritated Mechanics Association of America. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Don't listen to me, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 30 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Gee I thought you were talking about a first generation Camaro (1967-'69), or a 1968-'74 Nova as they are also rear steer cars.

Could be worse you could be trying to fit a SBC V-8 into a four cylinder car body (aka 1962-'67 Nova) which used a front sump oil pan and a unique one of a kind "standard" Chevy Small block that had three clutch ball holes machined in the block and the oil filter pad moved up inside the block three inches to get it to fit into the car body.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Whew! I've been around Chevys for a LOOOOOOONG time. That's the first I've seen one of those! Talk about hens teeth.

On the bright side, once I get the headers in, the hard stuff should be over. Well, the aggravating stuff should be over.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
BA.

well don't buy the $180ish Pacesetters unless you want the 'fun' to continue!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Allan, I'll keep my eyes out for those.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page