1970 Gas Gauge Weirdness - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

1970 Gas Gauge Weirdness

The gas gauge hasn't been working for years. I purchased a new tank and sending unit (Bob's Impalas), dropped the tank and tested the sending unit before installing it into the tank. It tested great but after putting it into the tank it seemed to not work. I had initially put 5 gallons in it in case I needed to drop it again. I dropped the tank again, pulled the sending unit out again and tested it again.

As before I tested it with the ground connected where it would go etc. moved the float and it seemed to work fine.

After putting it all back together I put 12 gallons in expecting it to show half tank. It is showing a little less than quarter tank.

Does anyone know why if working it is not very accurate?

-ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Bad ground!

Big Dave
62BillT likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Really? I used the same ground when testing it outside of the tank when it worked. The ground looks good and has a good connection to the body.

What is the best way to determine how to proceed?

-ken

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Run a twenty five foot wire from the negative terminal to the ground post on the fuel sender. Your gas gauge will work fine. If you extend that ground wire to the trunk area and ground your light buckets to it your rear lights will always blink and be brighter, Steel is a rotten electrical conductor. Rust makes it even worse. The factory uses the body shell for ground because it is cheaper than a ground wire. They save maybe a dollar or two per car but when you make four million cars a year that will pay for a lot of booze and dancing girls for the annual Christmas party.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page