Another productive day......... - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Another productive day.........

Well, the buying and selling business was slow today, so I spent some time on the Impala. I probably spent too much money on it in the past couple days, but I hate not having vehicles running. I'm almost ready to test start it. I still need accessory brackets, but I'm on my way to hearing it run. This is what I started with..............

.....and here's where I am after the end of the day today.

I still need looms for the wires and a radiator. I may use the aluminum one I have laying around, but I'm not sure yet. I'd like to try and find a correct radiator for it. I'm also contemplating on what to do with the A/C compressor as far as brackets go. What do ya' think?

Don't listen to me, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 30 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Looking good

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM

With the tall Moroso valve covers you are going to discover the upper A/C compressor brackets do not line up in the back. You can not run the compressor with only the front brackets holding the compressor in place. The lower rear brackets can be made to work with headers, you just use lengths of thick wall steam pipe to space the brackets out to the point the old cast iron manifold held them. Without the upper rear brackets the belt will not stay properly tensioned or even aligned and you will be throwing belts.

You can convert the whole car over to run a serpentine belt system using the cheap and plentiful SBC front drive brackets and the matching accessories. This will require three pieces be made up to adapt the SBC to fit the BBC dimensions. You can buy them already machined and ready to bolt on; or you can find templates on-line to cut out of your own flat stock and then bore and tap the holes you need to make the adapter plates. Either way works well and allows you to get away from obsolete V-belts with high reving and a non-slipping flat belt replacement.

Big Dave

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

High revving? A truck 454 with a flat tappet cam? This thing will be lucky to see 4,500 rpm. Yeah, I know about the A/C brackets around the valve covers. I fell off that bridge before. I think I may just use 1/4" flat stock and fab the A/C brackets. I've had good luck with that before. I think I even dug up some P/S brackets. I'll check them out tomorrow and see if they'll work. All I need now is the alternator brackets. While I'm on a fab kick, I may just make them too. It'll beat paying a couple hundred for brackets. I tend to take my time and do nice work. They'll look factory when I m done, don't worry Dave, I'll do ya' proud.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM

One other thing I see your water neck I noticed it's like one I had chrome also a friend had one on his we both had problems with them they started to crack! I took mine off but my friend left his on it ended up cracking so bad it started leaking. I went back to stock replacement. Now mine and my friends was daily drivers so I don't know if that had something to do with it cause they was so thin.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

I know what you're talking about. The pot metal these are die cast with isn't the greatest. The trick is to just snug them. If you get over excited, (and it doesn't take much) you start a fissure installing the part. Not much longer with engine vibration and bad material, a crack forms. Once it starts. It doesn't stop until it reaches the edge. I've had pretty good luck with these. This is the one with the O-ring, not the one with a gasket. I'll keep my eye out for a stock one off a junk engine. This was only $5. I won't be losing much.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM

It's looking good
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
BA.

you got some good work done man, you gonna fire it up soon?

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I hope so, but routing through my parts I just realized something. I have to fab all my own brackets for this engine. It has a long water pump and corresponding pulleys. I have to come up with A/C and alternator brackets to fit in a '67 Impala, with updated accessories.

I'm trying to do this cheap and quick. ("quick" meaning before spring) I may not have the money to do all new compressor and hoses on the A/C system. Since I already have everything AND it's hooked up and holding some kind of a charge, I'm gonna leave the compressor where it is, that means the alternator has to stay on the driver's side.

I think fabing new brackets will be the easiest route. Definitely the cheapest, that's for sure.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 AM

If it's not high reving you should change the intake. That looks like a high rpm straight runner open plenum. Torker? A Performer or Performer rpm would be better suited for your rpm range. What cam are you running? Looks awesome though. Now put some 396 decals and emblems on it and turn some heads!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Would you believe I forget what cam I put in it?

I know it's a mild street cam. I think it's around .510 lift. The manifold is a bit much I admit, but it was $50. It'll run good enough for the car it's in. This is just a cruiser. There aren't too many red lights around here to race from, so it'll be fine. Yes, a dual plane would be better, but this has shorter runners and the plenum isn't that large. I ran a similar small block version of this engine years back for the same reason. (The parts just kinda fell in my lap.) It did pretty well.

I know, .... apples and oranges, but let me get it started first. Then I'll worry about fine tuning. There's still lots of things to do and money to spend before I can take it for a blast down the road.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:22 PM

For $50 I'd put it on too. It's a big block and a little more forgiving in the mismatched parts dept. No doubt it will bake the tires!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Well, it sounds very good. You did a very good job. Keep on going like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page