Headlight upgrades? - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Headlight upgrades?

I am looking to upgrade the weak sealed beam headlights. In my Jeep CJ, I upgraded to Halogen bulbs in a newer model housing and used a harness that tied into the headlight connectors and has relays built in so that all of the voltage does not run through the switches.

Has anyone done something similar to their impalas? If so, what was used? For the headlights, I assume I could use the same housings as my Jeep since they are the same size. But what about the high beams? The Jeep has high and low in the same light. The impala has those for the outside but also has hi beam only in the center. Not sure what to do about those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 AM

There are both Halogen (still uses a tungsten metal high resistance element) and LED lamps that use the same H3 seven inch reflector head light, that will bolt into your light bucket. You \can also add high intensity LED spots to the wind screen hinges, a high intensity light bar to the top of the wind screen and spotter lamps also LED under the front fenders so that you can go wheeling at night or light up a landing strip at your local air port.

I was just scanning in a 1998 Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road magazine and saw an add for the "new" Halogen lamps and they were bragging about how intense the light was. This was before LED's had made it into anything beside computers and night lights. A halogen bulb is still mostly a heater with nearly double the watts being turned into heat as there are lumens coming out of the bulb. That is why incandescent lights where banned from home lighting in favor of CFL lights that do a better job, but not as good as LED that convert 100% of the energy into light.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. Glad to know they are available. I am interested in better output but not sure about the LEDs, although I do know they provide good light output.

And even on my CJ, I am not a fan of lightbars and such that I would never actually use as I don't wheel at night.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Another advantage of LED's is they are not prone to failure from vibrations the way incandescent lights are. The NHRA switched to LED lights in the Christmas tree as the Nitro fuel class cars are so loud that they where breaking the tungsten filaments in the incandescent lights they used to use.

This company has been advertising lighting since 1998 in 4x4 magazines. I have never bought them myself as I only drive off road in daylight and not doing any intentional rock climbing or mud bogging, but I have seen a lot of them installed on vehicles in the magazines so some one is buying them.

https://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lighting-Je...=448&t_pt=4242

I used my 4x4 Suburban K20 to explore the Pacific northwest southern Canada and Alaska where there were no roads but there was at least a stream bed or a lumber trail to follow into the woods. Got a lot pictures of animals that way.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Mad

I'm gonna try some leds too.

What about the venapro review for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page