Fuel Line installion - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Line installion

I am trying to install a new fuel line fro the tank to the fuel pump. Looking for help in figuring out how to thread the line over the rear end and to the front..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Take the body off, that'll make it much easier!

.....but seriously, if you don't unroll the line all the way and keep a pretty tight radius on it, you should be able to work it over the cross member. It won't be perfect, but it'll work. Unfortunately, the only way to get perfect, IS to take the body off. The line has a zig-zag in it over the axle crossmember.

Don't listen to me, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 30 years.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM

just did mine and we had to take off the shock absorber to make it fit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 05:43 PM

I have a 1985 but I ran it along the perimeter frame (on my car it is an open C channel) so I simply bent a 1/2 inch aluminum seamless tube and bolted it to the frame by way of black nylon plastic straps that bolted above the tubing. You have to restrain the tubing and make a solid connection so that it can not vibrate by itself (only way it moves is if the frame moves) this is to prevent work hardening of the tubing. Once you have the ends firmly attached (in my case I use a filter for the back end of the car and a brass distribution block for the front end) you can use AN 10 fuel line to connect the pump and motor.

I also use one or two Barry Grant pressure return regulators (one for each carb if racing) and at least a 3/8th in hard line back to the tank (in my case I have two tanks, one fuel cell for race gas and the stock tank for pump gas). The return has to be as far as you can get it from the pick up to prevent aeration.

Check Aeromotive's, Holley's or Bary Grant's web site for schematics of a fuel system. Holley uses only a dead head pump which I do not recommend even for street use at anything above 110 gph.

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM

It helps tremendously to do it on a lift. If you're doing it with the car on jacks it can be tricky.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM

check it..

The fuel lines transfer fuel from the fuel tank to the throttle body or the fuel rails. Fuel lines are made of plastic, nylon, rubber, or metal. They are also called hoses, tubing, or pipes. A hose is flexible. Tubing may be flexible or rigid. Pipe is usually rigid. Understanding what type of hose you are replacing is critical to a successful instalation.

Step 1
Determine type of fuel line to be replaced. Rubber hoses will have clamps on both ends that should be loosened with screw driver. Nylon and steel lines will have a ferrule at both ends removed and replaced using proper size line wrench

Step 2
Using proper size line wrench or screwdriver, loosen fittings by turning counter clockwise. Catch fuel remaining in lines in a gasoline safe container.

Step 3
Remove defective fuel line and install the new line or hose opposite of removing. Take care not to strip or cross-thread fittings as this will cause leaks.

Step 4
Dispose of remaining fuel in an OSHA safe container.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Sorry Dave, but what car and year do you have?

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page