Door pinning or an odd question for you door hangi - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Door pinning or an odd question for you door hangi

Here's an odd question for you door hanging experts...

During the hot rod build from last year's GNRS, (I think), the builders were shown using an old trick know as door pinning. This is to aid in aligning of the doors during the final instal after getting them all set up prior to paint.

My question is simply this. Should I be doing this with the Biscayne now, before I even pull the doors off during the initial tear-down? The doors open and close better than my 2000 Isuzu Trooper and I'd REALLY like to maintain that fit. I'll be working on damn near every panel on the car, including both door. Is this the time to do this while the work perfectly, or wil I be throwing that out of whack during my body work?

After pulling the doghouse last week, I'm already real close to separating the bode from the chassis and I'm thinking now is the time for this, if in fact this is right.

Thanks,
Vance

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
And on my own website ~ http://www.violentlee.com/biscayne.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 PM

If they close that well, I would take a scribe and scribe the hinges where they meet the "A" pillar. That way there's a deep scratch that will show through the paint that you can use to line the hinges back up again. I wouldn't worry about re-pinning the doors.

Don't listen to me, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 30 years.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake68 View Post
I wouldn't worry about re-pinning the doors.
Do I read that correctly as in,...you're thinking door hinge pins?

I think Vance is referring to the ol' drill a small hole through the hinge into the cowl and door so that during re-assembly you can zero-in on proper alignment really quickly.

I vote yes, do it! YOu could also mark lines on the cowl and door using a punch/chisel and hammer. Whap! Marked.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Yes that's what I thought he meant. My mistake. I don't think it's that hard to get the doors lined up again, so I've never done that. I understand what you're talking about now, though. I've seen it done before. It's your car, that will make it easier to reassemble so, ...why not?

Don't listen to me, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 30 years.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 PM

I have a pretty good way of aligning doors that have a quarter mile of adjustment on them. I got the idea from Dodge vehicles. From the factory, the doors have one threaded stud on each upper and lower hinge. The other is a threaded hole. The factory glues washers onto the hinge opening that accepts the stud. The washer has the same inner diameter as the studs outer diameter, so all you have to do when hanging the door is slide the studs through the washers and tighten the nut down. Then thread the two bolts into the other holes and you're done.

Now, not all doors are equipped with studs as most doors use only bolts through the hinges. What I do is take a washer, grind the back side to rough it up, and apply a small bead of epoxy to the backside of the washer. Once I have the door fitting exactly how I want it, I remove one bolt from each hinge, slide the washer onto it, and run it back in nice and tight. When the epoxy is cured and the door is ready to come back off for paint work, I pull the bolts out and remove the door leaving behind the glued on washers. This helps tremendously when reinstalling the door and it always lines up just the way I want it to.

Now, you may not want the washers on there permanently, so all you have to do is when all the bolts are nice and tight, only remove the two that the washers are on, and simply tap them off with a hammer and punch/chisel. Then run the bolts back in and snug them up. Its a great way line up hinges to doors/cowls/pillars without having to scribe, or punch into the metal, or drill extra alignment holes. Just be sure to use a strong enough epoxy that won't break loose while hanging the door!

Good, Fast, Cheap, but you can only pick two!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

BA is correct on what I'm talking about.

Thanks guys.

Vance

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
And on my own website ~ http://www.violentlee.com/biscayne.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 PM

I could'nt get u

Richardmatty9
BMW Accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page