Alternator bracket - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Alternator bracket

I recently purchased headers for a 327 and I am looking for brackets for the alternator to mount on. I was reading through the other threads and I didn't understand how the alternator mounts on the block. Does anyone have any pictures or any info that can
help me visualize it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67impala-ss View Post
I recently purchased headers for a 327 and I am looking for brackets for the alternator to mount on. I was reading through the other threads and I didn't understand how the alternator mounts on the block. Does anyone have any pictures or any info that can
help me visualize it?
You will need a Mr. Gasket Generator/Alternator mounting bracket and adapters (hollow steel tubes), to space the alternator away from the header tube, and bolted to the head.

Mr Gasket 9852 Chrome Header Mount Alternator Bracket

Looks like they don't offer anything other than the bracket today, so you will have to go the fastener section of your local hardware store to buy some 3/8th inch rolled steel tubing sections. Buy them longer than you need and cut them shorter to space the alternator out far enough to clear the header tube; but not so far as to be flopping in the breeze.

Big Dave
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 PM

Thanks Dave. We just found some pics that finally pit the main pieces together for us.

But one question for you. Where do the tubes that you are talking about go? Between the header and the bracket and having the bolts go through them? That is the only thing I can think of. The pics we saw did not have the tubes. And this makes me think we need longer bolts to accommodate that added distance? Am I thinking about this correctly?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Yes the two tubes act as a spacer since the original mount was well away from the head you need something to make up that distance and allow you to torque down the bolts without bending the bracket. I find mine at my local ACE Hardware store, but since every Ace store is locally owned they differ in what is stocked on their shelves. Neither of my Lowes or Home Depot have them.

Big Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 PM

Garage
cvfracing.com has a really nice aluminum bracket. Made in USA.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 PM

I installed a Alan Grove bracket on my 66 Belair. fit great no issuses. part number 215RO for long water pumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alan Grove 215RO 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	18513  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 AM

X2 on Alan Grove. A tad expensive but top quality and worth the price.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvairV8 View Post
I installed a Alan Grove bracket on my 66 Belair. fit great no issuses. part number 215RO for long water pumps.

Our alternator is on the driver side. I will look to see if Alan Grove has one for that side. Thanks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM

If you don't mind getting away from stock you can find a number of alternate locations to mount your alternator by trolling the salvage yards for medium duty trucks, light duty trucks and old cars as the bracket shown is just two C shaped pieces of eighth inch thick flat plate with four holes drilled in it.

Don't know what he paid for the brackets but it probably made a good down payment on a band saw that could cut thin flat stock. Once you have a desktop band saw you can cut a lot more than just one pair of brackets.

Going back to the junk yards and older cars, the alternator was bolted on in a lot of different places (low on the Corvette tucked up under the exhaust manifold opposite but in the same location of the power steering pump; and high on a truck and centered above the water outlet in the intake manifold) by the factory, plus more than just Chevys used an AC-Delco alternator.

Big Dave
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
If you don't mind getting away from stock you can find a number of alternate locations to mount your alternator by trolling the salvage yards for medium duty trucks, light duty trucks and old cars as the bracket shown is just two C shaped pieces of eighth inch thick flat plate with four holes drilled in it.

Don't know what he paid for the brackets but it probably made a good down payment on a band saw that could cut thin flat stock. Once you have a desktop band saw you can cut a lot more than just one pair of brackets.

Going back to the junk yards and older cars, the alternator was bolted on in a lot of different places (low on the Corvette tucked up under the exhaust manifold opposite but in the same location of the power steering pump; and high on a truck and centered above the water outlet in the intake manifold) by the factory, plus more than just Chevys used an AC-Delco alternator.

Big Dave

Ubderstand. Lots of options for mounting it. Just need to make sure I get a belt that works with the location.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 12:06 AM

I wouls have to look at my receipt but the price I can not remember. and yes I changed the location of my alternator. As nothing was original.
Many options for sure, this is just the path I chose. I originally came here for advice. it all worked out .
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 12:52 PM

GM used a short water pump and mounted the alternator on the driver's side through 1968, then started using a long water pump and moved the alternator to the passenger side beginning in 1969. Good luck on trying to find a 1968-or-earlier alternator bracket in a wrecking yard given they stopped making them that way 49 years ago, and better luck still trying to find the right pulleys to go with it.

The money spent on an Alan Grove or similar quality part is money well spent, and quite frankly, inexpensive as opposed to fabricating something or blowing a whole weekend dumpster-diving in a junk yard.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 12:07 AM
BA.

I had trouble making the old school brackets work with a set of headers.
I bought this set from Summit and couldn't be happier. Problem solved and I never have to give it a second thought.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Very nice brackets; but I notice that they screw into the accessory holes that he will not have on a 1967 327 engine.

Big Dave
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM
BA.

Good point, I forgot about some not having that.
I used to have a 327 w/ double-humps that I thought had the holes. A small glimmer of hope.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM

1968 was the first year for the holes in the heads; even though they were not actually used until the long water pump came out in 1969. 1968 was also the first year for the large journal crank which was introduced or compelled by the 350, and why the SBC 400 has an even larger main journal to reduce the distance from crank cheek to rod journal in an effort to strengthen the crank as the stroke grew successively longer.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page