Weird springs on rear shocks - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Weird springs on rear shocks

There is a coil spring on the lower/upper control arm and there is a smaller spring on both rear shocks??

Is this some weird replacement for the stock shocks? Just want to know if I can replace with rear shocks only or is there a shock spring? Almost looks like a non adjustable coil over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowesp View Post

There is a coil spring on the lower/upper control arm and there is a smaller spring on both rear shocks??

Is this some weird replacement for the stock shocks? Just want to know if I can replace with rear shocks only or is there a shock spring? Almost looks like a non adjustable coil over.

It's a 67 impala ss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Those are load lever shocks that are normally put on a station wagon or a light truck to help support the weight of a heavy but temporary load. They are not coil over shocks that have a threaded body to adjust ride height. Those shocks as well as a coil over requires the shock mounts to be reinforced to sustain the weight of the car. The good part is that both ends of the shocks are mounted to the frame and axle with relatively strong brackets as opposed to bolting to the trunk floor as found on a Camaro or Nova car.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, so does that mean I can replace them with regular rear shocks then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM

Yes but don't be surprised if the car settles a little more as those springs are providing lift.

They were common back in the seventies when car fashion dictated a rear high stink bug stance as opposed to a low rider stance to be cool. Just like with clothes what is in style changes regularly over time. Hang around long enough and you can see the cycle repeat.

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:44 PM

Weird springs on rear shocks

"Stink Bug Stance"! As compared to what I am seeing on trucks these days "Carolina Squat"

Loving the terms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page