69 Impala hitch installation - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
69 Impala hitch installation

Dear all, I'm searching a hitch for the 69 Impala convertible. I'm living in Germany and it' nearly impossible to find a fitting hitch for my car. As I have removed the cover underneeth the bumper, I got surprised, I think something is missing at my 69. The bumper is not fixed at the lower side (no sway bar). So I do have two questions:

Does anybody has some pictures, drawings, installation guides or anything else where I can gain some information about installation of that hitch (found one for the 69-70 station and the 67, but not for 69 convertible)
And as I believe that a swaybar is missing (directly underneath the bumper), does anybody has also pictures from that sway bar.

It would be perfect if somebody would like to sell such hitch.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards

Sascha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 PM

A trailer rental shop (such as U-haul or Penske here in the US) could weld in a Reese Receiver hitch for you. They will have to modify a universal fit hitch to place it permanently between your frame rails, as Reese no longer sells one to fit your car (lots and lots of hitches for light trucks, but nothing for a car).

As to your sway bar issue. Your car has a Panhard bar attached to the frame above the rear axle and attaches to the axle with a second bracket. It locates your rear preventing excess rear end movement from going side to side as it goes up and down.

A rear sway bar was only installed if you had the Heavy Duty suspension option (RPO code F40), and was part of the factory trailer towing package (that include a factory installed two inch square Reese receiver). I would be surprised to find a rear sway bar on a convertible. It attached to the lower control arms and the rear axle near the inspection cover, not back by the bumper. The bumper has two flat steel struts (plates that form a mounting bracket) that bolt to the rear frame horns and hold it in place. It is not strong enough to tow anything.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Big Dave, thanks for the very quick reply. I'll try to find acompany in Germany who can weld such hitch, or can adapt an existing one. And also thanks a lot fpr the explanation regarding the rear end.

For me it would be very helpful if anybody has some pictures from a standard hitch for the 69 (original GM) and maybe from the rear end?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151025_133042.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	19241  
Attached Images

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are the correct pictures, sorry for the wrong ones in reply before.... This is the rear I found behind the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	19265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper_lower_end.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	19273   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_dismantled.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	19281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back_view.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	19289  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 AM

Garage
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitche...leId=2661&ship

UHaul says they can make one to order. Not sure what, if any, the differences would be between the convertible and 4Dr.

-
1964 Impala
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 AM

The frames on our cars are all basically the same. The body panels are different. I bought a hitch on ebay for my 65 Impala. It was even stamped 65 Impala. It was not a Reese style hitch, just a simple bolt on hitch. Bolts on bumper and frame by license plate.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:46 AM

The frames are different between the convertible and the other models as it is stamped out of heavier gauge steel, has a boxed center section and has an additional cross-member to support the convertible top. In the back of the frame were a Reese hitch would be welded in they are the same.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page