63 SS Shifter - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Cool 63 SS Shifter

Doing a SS clone on my 63 Impala and installing the console and shifter . Has anyone converted a shifter to fit the 63 console .I have looked at lokar and shift works nice products but a little spendy $$ .I heard where a B&M Unimatic can be used with little modification but you give up some features. Just trying to find a low budget install .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 PM

I'm going to take it you are trying to do this with an automatic.

The 63 power glide shifter bolted to the tail housing of the transmission for leverage and not the floor pan. This allowed our consoles to be relatively low profile. Now if you are making an original clone and staying with a power glide transmission you should be able to find someone selling an older style shifter on E-bay or craigslist with a little bit of patience. More cars are getting made into stick shifts or adding gears than trying to go backwards. At that point your hardest issue will be finding a power glide with the right tail shaft.

I'm guessing though that you are either installing a 3-speed or 4 speed auto. In this case the $300.00 shifter from shiftworks is your best bet. If you get lucky you may be able to get a discount by finding someone that was going your route and midstream decided a stick shift was more their tune, but the odds would be like hitting the lottery. This is the only shifter designed to purposely fit your low profile console.

The more I look the more I realize why people tend to gravitate to 64 impalas over the 63. While I wouldn't trade as I like the body style of the 63 better, the 64 was kinda the lead into the next generation of impala. It had the upgraded power steering, shifter mounting point moved to the floor of the car, and several other upgrades that continued in Impalas all the way up and through 1970.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Yep you guessed right auto. with no hole on tunnel and a 700r4 . Yes I been actively searching the net for one

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycee View Post
Yep you guessed right auto. with no hole on tunnel and a 700r4 . Yes I been actively searching the net for one
153050 - 1961-63 Fullsize Shifter Tunnel Cover

I think this piece takes the guess out of the cut for stick shift, not sure if automatic is the same.

These conversions are never cheap. I was thinking of overhauling the 200R4 I have in my garage and temporarily using it till I scrounge up the funds and parts to put a 4 speed in. I was looking at a good $1000 to $1500 to do that compared to about $500 to just overhaul the power glide.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I'm at the end of a 20 yr resto mod. Had to put it on hold for awhile. I was going to run a 200 r but found it was a lot more to rebuild and they are getting hard to find . So I opted for 700 and removed the 2 piece driveshaft for a 1 piece. I relize I will have to cut some of the tunnel but want to keep it to a min.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page