1962 327 question - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fsc66

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

1962 327 question

Hi everyone. I just joined this site. I have a question I'm hoping somebody can help me with. I have a 62 impala 2dr that I"m in the process of restoring and came across an engine that I ended up buying. It's a complete 250hp 327 date coded mid september of 61. I'm just wondering if anybody knows when 327 production actually started and if it is actually worth anything. Block, heads, intake, carb,and exhaust manifolds are all original to the engine. Is it just an old 327 or is it something real early that might actually be cool. Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 PM

Not sure which month it started, but September '61 would be pretty much "on the button" as the cars were introduced in September of '61. A good guess would be that they started in August, possibly July. Although someone out there probably has very accurate stats on the subject. Either way, an all original '62 327 is a great find. An early date makes it interesting anyway.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:07 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Big Dave

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I thought it was a pretty cool find especially since the guy I got it from pulled it out of an early 70's jeep wagoneer that they had made some weird motor mounts to make it fit! Cant believe they left the rest of the engine all intact.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 AM

327/250

As far as rarity goes, 15% of all 1962 full size cars had this motor.

Paul Winvoices
62BillT likes this.

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on going with a big block in my 62 so I was wondering what something like this would be worth. Hate to see it just sitting in my shop taking up space if someone could really use it for their project.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 10:31 AM

The 250 HP 327 was a $137 dollar option and it was only a couple of bucks more to go to the 300 HP version. The bottom end of the engine is the same as the 300 HP version as far as compression ratio and cam goes. The big difference is the carb, heads, and exhaust manifolds. Now people may look and see the 409/409 option was only a $321.21 dollar option and today we would look at that and wonder why more 409's were not built, but back in 1962 that would have been like adding another $2500 dollars to the price of a car. Just like today, when ordering a new Silverado truck, the upgrade from the 5.3 LS to the 6.2 LS is about $2500 and you still see a lot more 5.3 liter trucks on the road than the 6.2's. I do think today it has a lot more to do with people buying trucks off the lot and not specially ordering. For some reason the dealers don't have a lot of 6.2 liter trucks on the lot.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I know most people prefer the 300hp version and if your looking for a 250hp motor your probably seriously looking for originality and a strictly original restoration but I'm not sure if its desirable at all or if they are a dime a dozen. If its just another small block I'll just keep it , rebuild it and throw it in my old truck but if you guys think someone could use it for what it was intended for I can get a 350 anywhere. I love the original stuff and don't want to see it just get lost in a farm truck if it go where it was meant to be. Thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 PM

Definitely has some value to someone wanting an original type 327 in their early built '62.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 AM

Not saying it isn't worth anything to the right person, just saying your not sitting on a gold mine. They are not making any 327 engines anymore. You will have to be patient looking for the right person when it comes to getting a premium for correct date coded parts. Very few people these days restore a numbers car without having most of the major pieces at the beginning. The cost and required patience doesn't sit well with most people. You could get lucky and find someone with a numbers car with a 283 that is looking for a little more get up and go, that would probably be your best audience if your looking to get numbers matching date coded pricing.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

I am pretty sure I'm not going to retire if I sell it. Just thought I would get some of your opinions on whether there might be some interest in it. I might just stick it on the classifieds just in case. Thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbrow66 View Post
I am pretty sure I'm not going to retire if I sell it. Just thought I would get some of your opinions on whether there might be some interest in it. I might just stick it on the classifieds just in case. Thanks
You would get more response from putting an add in in your local newspaper or AutoTrader. This board is very much international, with as many members in Canada, Europe, in the Middle East as well as in Australia and New Zealand as those in the US. Shipping would be a deal breaker.

Big Dave
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page