65 impala 3 on the tree - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

65 impala 3 on the tree

Just joined. Need some help with the linkage on a 3 on the tree. It has become hard to shift into low and reverse. Most people that I have talked to said that there are bushings in the linkage that wear out and need replaced. Have not been able to find the bushings for sale any ware. Has anyone replaced these and where did you buy them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:27 PM

Welcome to the Team unknown person!

Chevy used the same bushings as those used to rebuild a Hurst four speed shifter (which is to say the Hurst uses Chevy bushings since they made them before George got his idea to build a shifter). But the bushing is only half the issue if the pin end that fits in the bushing has worn away from a lack of a bushing. In that case it has to be welded up and then machined round again.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I have not crawled under the car yet to look at it. It is actually my fathers car. It is a one owner with 70k miles. I plan on looking at it when it warms up a bit. Does anyone have a picture as what it is suppose to look like so I will have a reference. Btw, my name is Mark.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 12:09 AM

Welcome to the Team Mark!

Here is a rebuild kit available at your corner parts store. It is a rebuild kit for Hurst from Mr. Gasket (they bought out George Hurst in 1975 before being gobbled up by Colt Industries; and bundled in with Holley, Weiand, FlowTech, NOS, Earls, BG, and half dozen other companies that make and sell speed parts).

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:51 AM

I know that the bushings are available from the 60s truck places. Source: I have a 65 C10 with a three on the tree and bad bushings, and have looked up the parts. Brothers, Classic Chevy, etc.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

I was able to look at the car this weekend. There does appear to be a lot of play on both ends of the reverse/1st lever. There are definitely still bushings there. Should there be play or should these points be tight. Also the biggest issue seems to be while in neutral pulling the gear shift towards the steering wheel. While doing this none of the rods are moving yet. The only thing moving is a tab(not sure what it is called) on the steering column that moves back and forth to connect with the 2 different rods. Can this piece be adjusted or even greased?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 PM

If you are in Neutral and pulling it towards you like you want to put it in First or Reverse, none of the Rods should be moving. If it is hard to pull the Shift Lever towards you in Neutral and letting it spring back again, it needs grease on the inside. You would need to take it apart to grease it.

Also, it sounds like your Bushings are a little worn out.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

What exactly are you referring to by taking it apart? The column?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:29 PM

You need to take off the Steering Wheel, then the Directional Light Assembly. Then work the Shifter to see where it slides on the Tube. That is where you need to grease it at. I've never worked on a '65-'66 Shifter in particular, but they are basically the same as many others around that time period.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page