My new Project dubbed "Big Daddy" - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

My new Project dubbed "Big Daddy"

Hello fellow Impala owners!

Im not sure if many of you remember my previous posts about a month ago explaining my problem i had with my 1966 Impala sedan with the rusted out frame that had broken at the control arm. It kinda upset me to figure out that the cars skeleton was basically trash and that the only fix was to buy a whole new frame and install it or have it installed. Me and my step-dad sat on the thought of finding a new frame for the car until one fateful morning during his daily rounds of Tulsa Craigslist, he stumbled on something that he (without my knowledge) knew would somehow end up in our yard.

Fast forward to last Sunday when he took me down to the shop to "clean up the place". After i got out of the truck we walked into the shop to what i think may be the greatest moment ive had this year, the day i received this surprise:

This would be a 1966 Impala 2 door hard top. The body work is about 98% finished (if you dont count re-essembly). The inside has been stripped clean and re-insulated and the floor panels cut out and replaced with new sheet metal. And also the trunk had every piece of trim down to the smallest emblems from the car inside. The engine and transmission were removed at one time to make way for the under the hood restoration the previous owner was in progress with. The frame is solid and re-painted (THANK GOD!). The rear axle has also been re-painted along with the drums front and rear. Its got so much going for it. And between the two 66`s I plan on getting that two door back on the road. Im so excited to get this car put together and running. Im posting some snapshots i took today during the "clean out" part of my restoration journey. I hope you guys enjoy my long post and please feel free to post and tips or tricks you may have encountered during your own projects (This is my first major restoration project, or at least major to me :P).

The 2 door: http://yfrog.com/7e20100503153730jx

The back story on the car is the previous owner had been in the middle of restoring the car when his wife was stricken with cancer. When this happened he decided to drop everything he was doing, and sell off all of his projects.

The 4 door: http://yfrog.com/3z20100503154418jx

The back story on this car is unknown to us. We picked it up from a auction for 2,000$ with a brand new paint job. But at the time we were un-aware of the rotting frame under the body.

Our plan is to take anything off of the 4 door that we may need and piece that bad boy back together and have a good running car. Were using the original 283 small block V8 and the 3 speed manual overdrive transmission out of the four door and install it in the two door. I know most of you would think i was crazy not to drop something no less than a 350 in it. But because we know the 283 cranks over like a dream and that the transmission is rare and in perfect working condition, that`s what were using. I apologize for the long post. But Im so excited to have this project fall in my lap that i couldnt help but tell you guys my story. And if its ok with the community, i plan on posting a complete journal of this restoration for everyone to see. As of right now all ive done is cleaned out the trunk FULL of spare parts and trim and removed the seats (old beat up buckets and back seats out of god knows what). And also ive lubed up the gears and hinges on the doors and lubed the window cranks. Not much but hey, its day one =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
SOunds like you caught a lucky break, Sandman. Good luck! Start a blog on here, and you can post your progress like many of us have, as you move along. I for one would love to have a 2-door coupe, with a 3-on-the-tree !

'63 Impala Sedan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
BA.

that's a great find and a great step-dad!

Rock that thing out man, and yeah, start a blog with PICS like Mitch says!

Congrats!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

The best part about the car is the price. He only had to give a hunting rifle and 200$ for the car. =)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Glad everything came togather for you. And yes, Start a blog.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page