Gas tank choices for '63 Impala SS - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Gas tank choices for '63 Impala SS

I'm in the market for a new gas tank for my '63 Impala rebuild. I'm finding out there is a bewildering array of material choices.... stainless, tin plate, and galvanized, with the obvious levels of price. They range from $89.00 to $299. I would rather keep it as stock as possible, so stainless would be my last choice. Does anyone have a preference of tin plated over galvanized?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:43 PM

Stainless!

Because the refineries no longer sell gasoline any more. It isn't a gas tank you want but a fuel tank. Alcohol in the gas makes it acidic. Acid eats Zinc (what the factory used to plate the galvanized tank. Tin resists the attack longer, but it will eat through eventually. Plastic or stainless are what the factory uses to build cars and trucks today (plastic in cheap cars and stainless in quality built cars) because they are immune from attack.

Same goes for the tin plated fuel lines from the tank to the front. Inside the lines it is probably already rusty.

I would show you what gasohol does to a pot metal carburetor, but it is easy to replace when it fails. You can worry about that when it eventually does fail (there aren't as many choices to fix this problem as only an anodized aluminum billet carb can resist attack by alcohol).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:16 PM

The stainless tank is supposedly of the same shape as the others. Just because it is stainless doesn't mean you can't paint the outside to look like a stock tank. No one will know the difference unless they scrape the paint off or pull the tank down for some kind of work.

With that said, the tin coated tank would probably give you years if not decade or more of trouble free service. Only thing is the first signs of problems is normally clogged fuel filters and the like.

I am personally leaning towards stainless though as the less things I have to worry about in the long run the better.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Oh, never thought about that! Guess it'll be stainless now.Thanks!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:28 PM

Spectra is the Canadian company that sell a very nice direct replacement tank in either stainless, or galvanized. There are vendors that also sell the Spectra tanks. The stainless is approx 2x the price of the galvanized.

My opinion? Galvanized is just fine, should last 25 years if the car is driven regularly. Stainless is 'better', last 50 years. When I replace the tank in my '63, I bought the galvanized. The tank will outlive me.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page