Won’t start - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Won’t start

Hi I have a no start issue. I have a 66 Impala with a 327. My issue is this. I was out driving it getting some stuff from store. When I came out it wouldn’t start. It was getting plenty of fuel so I turned to coil. No spark. I replaced coil. Also did the points, plugs, and wires. Still no spark. I’m stumped. Any help of where to look would be greatly appreciated. Side note. I checked new coil and it is good. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 03:32 PM

Problem with electricity is you can not see it, taste it or smell it. You can feel it but if the circuit is above 28 volts (as most air craft are) then it can kill you if you feel the wrong wire.

There fore you need either a medium who can see into distant realms; or a meter to measure the Voltage-Amperage, or Ohms of resistance your circuit has. Once you have a meter then DC circuits are as easy as PIE.

This is your basic circuit for the ignition:

it contains a power source (a battery), a switch (ignition key), and a coil that is powered by a hot wire (but only gets to ground out when the points are closed in the distributor). If the points are closed the power will appear on the (-) terminal of the coil. It should always be hot at the (+) terminal while the key is on. If you do not observe these results then your key is defective (the switch is not closing the circuit) or your battery is dead.

Simple as PIE or stated another way: Ohm's Law for DC circuits reads E=IR. Volts= Amps time Resistance. You read voltage with a volt meter. But what you are reading is the amperage attempting to over power (the big P) resistance. An open 12 volt nominal circuit has infinite resistance when it is not connected to a power source. No current (Amps) will flow without voltage to push it through a wire; so nothing happens.

Just like when Bones turns to his captain to explain the condition of the latest red shirt from their last landing party. "He's Dead JIM!

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

So I attempted to start it and held tester to (-) side of coil. The (-) side stayed hot while cranking no break in power. So if I’m understanding you correctly your saying my switch is bad. As in ignition switch or wire from the starter? Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:23 PM

My 66 had an intermitant starting problem. Turned out the wire was broken about two inches from the distributor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page