Paint - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Paint

Thought I'd start a thread on paint after learning today there are some 90,000 chips to choose from. Being firm on "Blue" in the spectrum helped narrow it down to 10,000 (lol) but still mind warped on tone. Would be easier if I went with factory production color but it doesn't light my fire...so to speak. Anyone else have or had this issue...input please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Two tone options

This is the two tone I talked about, found it hiding in puter...comments???
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
BA.

I had the same problem picking a blue color for my 69 Camaro. Took me months.

I did the color chip thing also and I gotta say that, for me, factory old blues.......there is nothing better than 66 Vette marina blue or 69 Camaro Lemans blue. There's a slightly lighter blue on the 65 vette but the name escapes me right now. (Nantucket Blue???)

The 3 things that helped me the most are going to local car shows, asking owners paint colors of the ones I liked,........buying several 'samples' of blues from the local auto paint supplier...usually about 6-10oz at $10 a pop. You buy a little 'Spray-Val' thing for a few bucks and you can spray these on anything you have around. (or even your car if it's under construction) I used an old fender and it worked out great. Used basic auto clear from a spray can from Pep Boys.

Also helpful was seeing the PPG and Dupont displays, with larger chips and the model car shapes at the GoodGuys events and such.

You also gotta ask yourself if you want the older paint look, or the newer pearls and metallics that really 'pop' in the sunlight and different angles. I went for the Pop and finally selected Warp Speed Blue from the Dupont Hot Hues line. I like the high-lights on the body lines in the sun and the darker hue when the sun isn't directly bouncing off a panel.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Of the thousands I looked at today(chips) I could'nt find one that matched what I was headed towards. Remember the 55-57 Bel Airs with the two-tone Baby pastel Blue with white top, kinda like that. In California if you don't have a car with AC you suffer in the summer like the south. Aftermarket AC will probably be added later when the boss...lol...ok's it. Even with the vents open top and bottom 100+ temps can keep you in the garage, so a lighter shade of blue seems smarter for me. There was only one that hit me, it was a blue turquoise blend. I see why this will take awhile.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
I think it depends on the car - a 100-point show car would have me breaking a sweat to paint it another color -but most of us don't have them. I LOVE the 2-tone combo in that '65 Chevy.. I think it's awesome. And I concur: There's NOTHING prettier than "Marina Blue" ...er, except maybe Azure Aqua.

Being of the mind that "Cars are sorta like houses, you can upgrade them and paint them a color you like" - I can be found all over this board professing how I hate the maroon-red color of my '63 Impala, and how I'm planning on painting it Azure Aqua.

It's just a happy, pleasant color, and I love it on the older Chevies .. so that's what it is. You gotta drive it and look at it - may as well paint it a color you can live with.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 PM
BA.

There's a 63 or so Impala that I've seen at the Milton/Cincinnati Friday cruise-in's that has a factory color paint that just stops me in my tracks. i mean,....seriously. I just stare at it.....nothing else exists to me when I'm checking out this car. It just looks sooo right.

This isn't a great picture,.....I'd have to look a lot harder for some others I thought I took. Does this happen to be that Azure Aqua????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Milton-Cincy 253a.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1022  

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

I agree with ya all the way on that 65...it's a hybrid that was for sale on e-bay I think awhile back. That car set the machines turning as I was stripping and sanding...stripping and sanding...The torque thrust wheels got my money too...That black on red combo for me is a secret crush, but the black top in august here would be an oven with two doors. BA could you put a pic of yours in so I could see. I looked at the Dupont hues chips and I agree they do POP. I have a few weeks left to throw the dart and commit, but pretty sure anything blue would be ok to live with.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Paint 2

Whats best for painting???...pulling hood...fenders...doors...then re-assemble...after getting body righteous(of course). Or are these(pro's) good enough to paint her up not doing it? Looks like they have no intention of doing what I believe is the right way.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Headed for the Marina Blue. From the 65-66 PPG chart. Looks good in the sun to me. Good match for interior also. Tag says DD Mist Blue poly, but I'm goin a shade up.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 PM

I have been painting since I was 13. I think that's 27 years...unreal. My neighbors kids are all compelled to call me Mr. now. Scary. I can give you some free advice about paint. Generally speaking, the big paint companies top of the line paints are the most expensive. They are the most expensive because the pigments and additives are more expensive. I don't paint a lot of high end late models anymore but occasionally I'll shoot a Lexus or Cadillac. Where the more expensive base colors come in is that the pearls and metallics and pigments are more apt to match the factory colors. This does not mean the paint is any better than another high end paint or even the mid grade paint from the same line. The clears at the top end of the spectrum are amazing but they are capable of going over any base from the same manufacturer. You don't need to spend top money for a base if you are using old codes. As an example, you don't need Glasurit or PPG Global base (some are over $100.00 a pint) to paint a Nassau blue Mid Year. The technology from then is easily duplicated with average bases from the big 3 paint companies. My opinion...BASF, Dupont PPG. As far as a blue, if you take advantage of modern technology and pick a color that benefits from mica and pearl and synthetic flakes that were'nt even a dream in 1963 you can have the shade but the color has more personality. The other benefit of modern colors is once you have the code, you can duplicate it for any repairs. A mistake that is easy to make is to go off of a 3/4"x2 inch paint chip in a paint store under miserable lighting. Narrow your choices down to a few then at least look at them under a "sun gun" or take them outside in the sun. As BA mentioned, do some spray outs. I like about a 2'x2' panel and use a good clear. That assures you the clear is clear and not yellow. Be careful when you go a "shade up." I don't know if that means darker or lighter but I would suggest getting at least an extra quart if you are going to doctor the formula so it will match if you have to repair. As far as prep, I guess it's a matter of personal preference but generally, I bolt the body to the frame after it is set up straight and put all the panels on. I spread the entire body with body filler going over every gap. Usually needs two times to get it perfect. Then I cut the body gaps with a hacksaw blade thing I made. Then you can sand the openings until they have consistent appertures. I have started using 4:1 poly primer first and sanding with 180 dry and then 3 3 coat sessions with 2k prime 400 wet to 600 wet. I have started using RM exclusively and love their DP26 power fill primer. Dupont's to of the line system with 72500 clear is sick also. Dissasemble the panels, orient them the way they will be on the car and shoot them. I paint with the doors on and open and close them (carefully) as I shoot. Too hard to do with the hood and trunk. Everyone has their way to do things. Ask 100 painters you'll get a hundred answers. I have found my way works for me. I'm no longer a professional painter since my law career has put a serious crimp on my ability to paint everyday, but I have painted a lot of high end cars. If anyone has questions, I would be happy to give my take, for what it's worth.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
BA: Yepper! That would be Azure Aqua, as you posted above. It's stunning, isn't it? I think it's my favorite color on the planet! ~ M.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM
BA.

Thanks Mitch, it's good to finally know what that arresting color was!

Jackson - sorry for the delay, I know you said you're probably going with marina (good call), but here's my Camaro's color you asked for. Special paint....special price! lol.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166144

Those are the best pics I got.....

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Great ride...I know about the Tic-Toc issue your havin...I'm tryin to look at it different...the longer they have it...the more time I get to pay em...lol...."Big Blue" has been in the shop for 9 weeks. They told me they do "A couple hours here, a couple hours there" Fine by me. You can see the pearls in that blue and even without clear it pops...mirrored ya gonna need foster grants
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Question for Art

So I went to the shop yesterday after they called and said we're ready to paint...my question...They painted a prime coat on the car without issues being handled..such as panel gaps...sanding details(inside/hidden areas of lids/doors ect.) I even noticed they primed in the windshield and back glass area without taking care of business first...rust, flaking ect. They seem to have an attitude about running out of hours or being over budget with labor and it looks like they are cutting corners to me...Would you or anyone with the painting exp. prime a car without dealing with these issues first...When I looked down the side lines it didn't look good..wavy gravy...I was told another prime coat would be put on after (fixing) issues at hand but it seems odd to prime a semi thick coat on the surface(not priming jambs, sills, ect. I told the guy not to prime until I looked at it to check work but they did it anyway....reach into the darkside and if you could tell me what to watch out for.... thanks Jackson
P.S. I know the shortcuts in my trade but not this one....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:03 PM
BA.

Damn Jackson, that does not sound like a good situation. From your description,....I don't even know if the car should stay there.

I'll try to keep it short as I tend to babble.
1. Hell no, no one should ever spray primer over a flaky or rusted area.
2. Sounds like his story changed from "we're ready to paint" before you got there, to "still fixing issues and another prime coat" after you pointed out the flaws.

That being said, I do have to cut them some slack, per your description.....about the order of things. There's absolutely no problem with putting bodywork on top of primer as long as you prime again or will be putting a Sealer on the whole car.
In my humble opinion and minor experience, Filler primer is not going to cure waves. Sounds like that was their answer to what you pointed out to them. Sounds like they need bodywork, and then more primer.

Lastly, I *frequently* was putting primer coats on panels of my car during bodywork because it's MUCH MUCH easier to then see the low spots, check body lines, etc with that uniform color.

Good luck man.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

allan you got it bro.... seems to me to be a quick shuffle of the cards...they had no impression that Jackson was a s.o.b when it comes to details.(Bigdave, who I have coined as knowledgeable and experienced in these manners) would appreciate my precision in quality and demand for the same. I do have the experience of having a car painted in 2001 and getting the short side of the deal. That being said, I'm with you bro all the way...for 5000 cookies I expect quality and demand the same. Anywho Ima goin with the 1966 marina blue...will post pics soon. 2 weeks till completion.....she gonna be good whether or not they like it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page