61 Impala wiring - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

61 Impala wiring

Could someone please set me straight around the wiring on these cars. I have replaced the under dash loom with a new factory style set up and I’m about to rebuild the engine bay looms. From what I can see in the manual it appears to me that basically everything under the hood including the headlight circuit is not fused in anyway? Or am I reading this wrong?
This seems a little unusual to me to not fused the main power feed to the dash loom let alone the headlights.
Would greatly appreciate any recommendations here as I don’t want a fire after the investment in rebuilding my car? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 AM

They are fused in the block that they mount to on the fire wall. You won't find any fuses under the hood as they are all under the dash on the same block as your interior circuits.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 AM

The under hood wiring harness is protected by two fusible links. One 50 AMP at the battery to the main feed, and another 30 AMP along the top of the fire wall to feed the ignition and protect the charging circuit.

You can buy this same ni-chrome wire with a PCV insulating cover in different colors cut to match the length you have now; or do what I do and just install a circuit breaker that will reset if tripped.

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gents, mine is definitely missing the fuse able links. There is nothing at the battery, only a short 12GA wire at the starter and the main ignition feed has been spliced off the alternator feed, so nothing suitable there. I have upgraded the alternator to 100amps so plan to use a inline fuse at the starter and I will now run a new ignition feed and fuse that at the battery.
Am I correct in saying the starter ignition, head lamp, horn and wiper are not fused at the firewall fuse panel therefore must be relying on the ignition feed being fused?
The reason I say that is there is are no labels on the fuse panel for any of them and no fuse is called out on the circuit diagram.
I could obviously test this but I have already removed the looms as the condition was much worse than expected. Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
the starter ignition, head lamp, horn and wiper are not fused at the firewall fuse panel therefore must be relying on the ignition feed being fused?
Those items were protected by the 12 inch long 50 Amp fusible link that connected the battery to the car's main power line that went from the battery to the horn relay then to the fuse box I Guess GM wanted a loud horn). The ignition and alternator where protected by the smaller shorter (about 8 inch long) 30 Amp fusible link. You find the fusible link in your power feeds by looking for the plastic ferule near the end of the wire. That big plastic bead covers where the wires are crimped together. You can read the amp rating of the fusible links in the wiring diagram for your car.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page