Brake light problem with 66 Impala - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 68WASAGOODYEAR
  • 1 Post By bobs66

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Brake light problem with 66 Impala

Hello Purchased new rear brake light harness and in stalled it with new bulbs. (1157 & 1156 in middle) Lights lit when pulled out knob on switch and brake lights worked when stepping on peddle. Here is the problem the brake lights has stayed on ever since and even when I pull it out of socket on driver side. One other problem directional on right side works and drivers side does not blink. Any answers? Thanks Bobs66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Welcome to the Team Bob!

If I were guessing I would say it is a bad turn signal switch.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks also could it be a bad brake light switch at brake peddle ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Could be . To determine that just look to see if it is pushed down and not resting on the pedal. You can push it in by hand to see if the spring inside is still there.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:27 PM
BA.

My first guess would also be that problematic, old turn signal switch mechanism in the steering column under the steering wheel.
However, your description sounded like this only just happened after that rear harness installation. That seems more than coincidental unless you do not have much past mileage on this ride as a baseline.
Could you lay in the old harness to see if the problem goes away? (Not sure of what the previous issue was causing the harness swap though)

Do you have a copy of the wiring layout? I don't have a copy on this work laptop, but, it's been posted here at the site multiple times. You might be able to search for it.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Power comes from the fuse box to the brake light switch to ground for the brake lights (both sides light up). If the turn signal switch is bad (it usually is because it was made out of an experimental material called PLASTIC, that was just invented. In this case, hard white nylon plastic. It supplies power to one side of the car or the other with a flasher breaking the circuit intermittently to flash the lights.

Luckily I reread your description of the problem. Because what you described is it flashing on one side but staying on on the other. I would look for a burned out front turn signal bulb or a blown dash light as both have to light to complete the circuit. If the dash light stays lit then it is the front turn signal that is at fault. If you walk up front and see front light stuck on but no light in the dash it is a bad dash bulb.

Big Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:15 PM

Great information on how to solve a some what complex problem.

Thanks,
Ed
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Team Member

Also check the pinout on the new connector where it plugs into the harness running down the driver side in the corner of the trunk. The one I ordered was wrong and didn't match the wiring diagram. I had to remove the terminals and reinstall them in the connector so it matched the diagram and the existing harness.
BA. likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and glad to report two problems solved #1 Bad brake light switch #2 Bad front single bulb Team Impala was right on the money Bob
BA. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page