Steering gear box - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nossa_h_64

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Steering gear box

Prior to removing my steering gear box, I noticed there was a ton of play in it. What I mean is, you could turn the steering wheel shaft end and there was a lot of movement well before the pitman arm end would turn. I tried turning the adjusting screw and all that seemed to do was make for more friction, the slop was still there.

So my questions are:

1) would a rebuild kit improve the tightness of the box or could it be that the gears are worn? If so, could you point me to a kit that worked for you?
2) does anyone know of someone who rebuilds these boxes?
3) has anyone had luck buying a rebuilt box? If so, could you point me to where you got it?
4) has anyone bought a new box that will bolt right up to where the original box mounted to and with no problems with fit whatsoever?

Just trying to explore all my options.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:31 AM

You could go with a good used one or buy a rebuilt one from a place like Cardone.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Team Member

Check out Lares as well.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM
BA.

The steering boxes are pretty common on the retail market, usually following different forms/models of the general GM box. (eg. I believe it's the 800 series on the mid-late 60's Impalas) They're slightly beefier than other steering boxes, or so I'm told.

If you don't like the mid-60's power steering feel (very light-weight, 3.5 turns lock to lock or so), then you can opt for a newer model replacement too. (Like a 79 Z28 for standard fittings or late 90's/early 2000 Jeep that needs readily available metric adapters. I think Big Dave has mentioned mid-80's Impala's as a swap item. Those may be metric fittings though)

I ended up getting my replacement from Lee Power Steering. I could have spent less, but they really know their stuff first-hand as opposed to buying something from say....CPP. (which may bolt up and work just fine)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I wanted to follow up with one more post so that this post is archived for future readers who may find it helpful. I could never fully identify the exact model steering gear box I have because the castings on my box were either done poorly or have worn, either way they could not be fully read. I believe I have a Saginaw 525 original to my 64 Impala SS. I bought a rebuild kit and new sector shaft. Here are the links:

https://www.midweststeering.com/prod...s-wstub-shaft/
https://www.midweststeering.com/product/pitman-shaft-2/

The person who rebuilt it for me was Dan from Mustang Barn in Souderton, PA

https://www.mustangbarn.com/
BA. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page